Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > white clover honey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
Beernik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default white clover honey

Anyone made a mead with white clover honey? I tried a peach mead with it.

It really seems to have a delicate flavor. So much so, that just about anything else I've recently tasted can over power it.

Did I screw it up by maybe not using enough honey or is this just the way white clover is?

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 790 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 2104

Clover does have a delicate flavour. It's often chosen for just that reason. Most meads are made with 12lbs - 20lbs of honey. Odds are good if the amount of honey you used falls between those numbers it'll be fine. Experiment with different honeys, different fruits, different amounts, etc...
Read what others have done & go from there. If you haven't already done so, read this: Amazon.com: The Compleat Meadmaker : Home Production of Honey Wine From Your First Batch to Award-winning Fruit and Herb Variations: Ken Schramm: Books It will really help you to make good mead. Regards, GF.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Beernik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't have great records for this batch. It was a spur of the moment experiment comparing a peach wine to a peach mead.

I think I used roughly 7lbs of honey and 6lbs of peaches to 3.5 gallons of water. Definitely on the weak side of that ratio.

Maybe I'll see if I can pick up some more, make another starter and kick-off a second round of fermentation.

BTW, I've got the book. I just haven't had the chance to use it much.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply