Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > When to stop stirring the CO2 out after staggered nutrient addition (SNA)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Hopheader
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to stop stirring the CO2 out after staggered nutrient addition (SNA)

Hi, second-time mead maker here (and first was... 20 years ago so I don't count that);

Just did my 5 days of SNA with stirring vigorously. Do I still keep stirring daily now or just let it sit and go to work?

Thanks

Keg: Special Bitter
Keg 2: American Barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopheader View Post
Hi, second-time mead maker here (and first was... 20 years ago so I don't count that);

Just did my 5 days of SNA with stirring vigorously. Do I still keep stirring daily now or just let it sit and go to work?

Thanks
A lot tend to stir/aerate until it hits the 1/3rd sugar break, rather than counting it in days or by how many bubbles per minute they get at the airlock.

As all meads differ, it's better to use a hydrometer to monitor the progress of it.

Some will continue to stir/aerate up to the 1/2 sugar break, or there's even those who will use a magnetic stirrer/stir bar, some just until a certain point, some until it's finished the ferment.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply