Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > When does beer w/ honey become braggot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
TheBrewingMedic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Based off the mazer cup standards and things like that it's a fine line between between braggot and honey beer when it is all fermented together, if 51% or more of the fermentables are honey then it is a braggot, if its malts then it is honey beer....but really you can call it braggot at any point you like since it is your recipe. Alot of people like to blend mead and ipa's together and call them braggots. It's really just a hybrid of the two beverages coming together in any way that you enjoy them...btw your recipe sounds great

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #12
ChrisVZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, guess I can continue calling it a honey ale since I used less honey than malt. Thanks for the info Medic.
It is still fermenting with regular airlock activity every 10 seconds or so. The honey aroma from it has faded a lot. I'm thinking another 2 weeks or so before it gets transfered to secondary.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
prohl84
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I am a novice brewer and I have a braggot/ honey ale going currently. If the ratio is 50/50 does that mean exact input weight or the ratio of fermentables? If you use malts with many fermentables I would expect weight ratios to be fairly similar; does the grain to honey ratio apply when you use specialty malts with less fermentable potential?

The braggot tasted delicious about 10 days ago; clear, naturally carbonated, too hoppy still, and the grav was a little high. Going to check it Monday maybe but I am not in any hurry for this one.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #14
ChrisVZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Update: first gravity reading today, and it sits at 1.008, just shy of 9.5%. Nice golden color, but still quite hazy with suspended yeast. Honey flavor is there but hard to pick out. Orange peel and corriander play well with the hops and give it a refreshing finish. Cold crashing the rest of my sample as I type this to get a taste w/o the yeast. Hoping I can pick out the honey more. No noticeable alcohol flavor, but gives your belly that lovely warm feeling. Very pleased with how it is turning out.

Edit: overnight cold crash removed a lot of the suspended yeast and the honey's taste is more noticeable. I will not be adding the orange blossom honeyin the secondary because I like it the way it is. I may use some honey to bottle though.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
ChrisVZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Final update: just kegged it after bottling a dozen for long term storage. It finished at 1.004, between 9.85 and 10%, depending on the calculator used. Beautiful hazy yellow/gold color. Hops and spices are balanced nicely and do a great job of hiding the alcohol bite. Finishes dry and tart, with smooth honey undertones. The honey isn't as strong as I intended, but still very tasty and dangerous after a couple pints. I give it a 92/100. I plan on making this again with a few tweaks. Thinking of cutting last hop addition down to 1/2 oz and more than one steeping grain to increase its complexity. Probably 8oz caramel 10 and 8oz caramel 40.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
prohl84
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 122

That sounds awesome. $4/ lb. for raw, local honey is pretty standard where I am and it is worth it over the bottom line crap from the grocery.

Quick Reply