When to Bottle Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8string

Reaction score
I made this mead at the end of September with 12 lbs Wildflower honey for 5 gallons and Redstar Premeir Cuvee dry yeast. Racked it in December, it cleared completely and the S.G. is now 1.005 (checked today). I'd like to make some sparkling (in clear beer bottles), and do a few still bottles with corks. The carboys still bubbling consistently too, so its still active. I just want to make sure I don't bottle too soon and have bombs. I know Papazian says "Bottle when cleared" in his recipes. I'd really like to free up my carboy. Any advice?

If you bottle now you'll probably get bottle bombs. The FG with that king of yeast and that much honey should be below 1.000. Next time add some yeast nutrient at pitching time and your fermentation won't last as long.

I did add 3 tsp yeast nutrient, but it has been close to a cold draft, probably hovering around 62-64. Thanks, I'll wait til it's down to 1.000. Im still not sure if i'll carbonate it or not. It tastes good still.

How much honey would you add to give a light carbonation after its at or below 1.000? Will the yeast still be alive? The batch is probably about4.5 gallons.

Back