New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Wheat Malt Braggot, Red Braggot, Spiced Braggot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Hrahn1995
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quick question to anyone with experience in Rye, since i want to use the rye as a way to color and flavor the Red Braggot, im not as concerned about its use to increase alcohol content. If i use flaked rye, directly added to the primary (washed but not boiled), would it contribute to the flavor/ color of the braggot?

Bright fruitless orchards
Brown sun catchers drift along
Sippin’ hard cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
jwwalczak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrahn1995 View Post
So i have done a great braggot in the past, but im thinking about doing a batch of just various braggots. I will probably attempt to recreate my Heavy Braggot called Jotunheim, which is a simple braggot using no boil with 2lbs of wildflower honey, and 1/2lb of Dark Dry Malt Extract then about 1/4 oz of Cascade hops added in the primary. It was jsut a wonderful, Dark Braggot that was very amber colored and nicely sweet without being anything close to cloying.
Hrahn1995,

Greetings! I am particularly interested in your "boil-less" method for the Heavy Braggot. Can you flesh out some of the particulars, like how do you use the hops and could you use a Liquid extract instead? For instance, when would you add the hops in the primary? Just plop in 1/4 oz., or add in a steeping bag, do I add/transfer to the secondary, should I boil just the hops or add it to the must, or should I at least soak them in vodka to sanitize them?

Thanks!--JW

Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

JW,

So lets start with the fact the the only reason i do the boil-less method is because i am a bit confined space-wise, so i dont have apparatus to do it. To do the boil-less method you use just hot tap water, Im on Well water in MD so the water is really nice and has no off flavors due to metals or other strange minerals. You add your DME to the bottom of your primary, then add water so it dissolves and aerates sufficiently. Then i added the honey and dissolved it as well. I made a microwave tea out of the hops for the primary by steeping them in the very hot- boiling water for about 5 minutes and added that to the primary. At the secondary i added a couple fresh pellets of the hops to give some aroma because most of it was blown off in the primary.

I'm gonna say that there was definitely residual sweetness, (1.012-1.015 maybe) but it wasnt cloyng because of the high alcohol content due to the use of EC-1118 wine yeast. that was probably the key to this brew's success along with the almost always dry fermenting honey. Im not sure how well this method will work for a regular beer because at the same time i did it with a barley wine, which came out good, but a bit cloying, and i am doing it now with an Elderberry Barleywine as well. There was a no boil winter warmer beer i did with only DDME and dextrose but i used Amylase which made it come out with only a little residual sugar. I also did an unhopped Graff with 1 Gallon of Cider and .5lb of DDME where i also used amylase. the result was once again a good, nicely malty but slightly acidic graff. The key to success with a "Boil-less" beer is probably the yeast used having a high attentuation, and having other sugars to balance out the inevitable high amount of unconverted sugars from the malt.

I hope this helped, and if you try a boil-less beer with this method tell me what you think!

Happy Brewing

Sippin’ hard cider

Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I started the Wheat Braggot today. I used 2lbs of orange blossom honey, and 1/2lb of bavarian wheat malt. i have started fermenting it with a WLP 351 Bavarian Weizzen yeast then i plan on adding some ec-1118 to finish the fermentation to about 1.008. I also have some sweet orange rind in there sitting

Sippin’ hard cider

Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Any update on the wheats progress? Did you get to start any of the others you were planning?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The wheat is going well, I think i should have increased the malt and decreased the honey because the maltyness is very light but noticeable. the sweet orange i put in there will probably take a while to smooth out in the aging process. I am also contemplating adding some cascade or czech saaz the last couple days before bottling.

I started the Alt braggot from a different post and its turning out great so far. everything is in the secondary and capped to keep the aromas in the container. i will probably rack them again in a week or 2.

I plan on starting the Braggot Bochet and the Red braggot after im done with this 4 gallon batch.

Sippin’ hard cider

Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glad to hear it!

Keep us posted.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just bottled the Wheat Braggot and will post pictures when its ready in about 6 months. gonna take a while to age but i think it will be very good. the citrus notes are nice, and so are the flavors from the bavarian wheat yeast.

Sippin’ hard cider

Quick Reply