Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Wheat Malt Braggot, Red Braggot, Spiced Braggot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Hrahn1995
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wheat Malt Braggot, Red Braggot, Spiced Braggot

So i have done a great braggot in the past, but im thinking about doing a batch of just various braggots. I will probably attempt to recreate my Heavy Braggot called Jotunheim, which is a simple braggot using no boil with 2lbs of wildflower honey, and 1/2lb of Dark Dry Malt Extract then about 1/4 oz of Cascade hops added in the primary. It was jsut a wonderful, Dark Braggot that was very amber colored and nicely sweet without being anything close to cloying.

I would first like to play around with a Wheat Braggot. I know many wheat beers employ citrus, so i would either use Orange Blossom Honey, or i would use clover honey, and sweet orange rind. With either i may use a lemon Tea. I would probably use the same proportions of 2lbs honey and 1/2 lb of Wheat DME. I am aiming for a much lighter in color but almost as strong in Alcohol beer when compared to the Heavy Braggot.

The Red Braggot would use wildflower honey, chared or carmelized Amber malt Extract and probably a light boil on some flaked rye. I dont do anything with boils, so i dont know how much rye to use for a 1 gallon batch. I am looking for a deep red color and some rye flavors because i am calling this beer something to do with Erik the Red. I will probably use Warrior Hops as a bittering agent added into the secondary along with some toasted Oak chips.

The Spiced Mead will probably use Cinnimon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Ginger, and Allspice to flavor it. It might be hopped or it might not depending on the profile the spices create and what everyone else says. Overall im looking for a Winterwarmer style of braggot if that makes sense. I will probably try to use Buckwheat honey, and Amber Dry malt Extract.

Tell me what you guys thing of these ideas, i have a while before i start them because i have the next 3 months or so planned atm

Bright fruitless orchards
Brown sun catchers drift along
Sippin’ hard cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1579 Times on 1194 Posts
Likes Given: 2839

Braggot recipes I have seen DO require the "wort" to be boiled. Not an expert by any means on braggots.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most require the wort, but because of apparatus i cant do a wort; and my 2 previous wortless braggots turned out great so im not worried about that step. I think (from my use of amalyase) if i did a wort it would turnout too dry because there would be far less residual sweetness in comparison to the Alcohol content. Thanks for the input!

Sippin’ hard cider

Old 01-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So does anyone have experience with a wheat braggot or a Rye braggot? Anyone with experience in Wheat or Rye beer would be helpful.

Thanks guys

Sippin’ hard cider

Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think all three sound tasty and fairly balanced in what you'd want in a flavor profile. I wouldn't make any changes, but I've always been leery on spices. Sometimes it's just too damn hard to get it right and it's always subjective. I added a quarter tsp of orange zest and grains of paradise to a 5 gal brag got and it tasted like a lemon wrapped pepper mill. I did a wort and threw them in the last 15 min but I wouldn't do that again.

May I ask what yeast you're planning on?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Fathand
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I brew 10 gallon batches of beer and usually after I sparge I have some extra wort left over. I made a simple Hefeweizen and used the extra wort to make a 1 gallon batch of a Hefe Braggot that was great.

I boiled 1 gallon of the Hefe wort and hopped with .25 oz of Tettnang hops at 60 mins. Then cooled it and added 2 lbs of clover honey. Fermented it with k1-V1116 and then dry-hopped with 1 oz of Tettnang.

As I said it turned out fantastic. But I see you don't boil and hops must be boiled to extract flavor and bitterness. I assume you are getting some hop aroma but wonder if because you are putting them in primary if a good portion of the aroma is getting driven off during fermentation?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will probably be using Ec-1118, Redstar Champagne, or MAYBE ICV D-47. Because i am primarily a mead maker i dont have any true beer yeast. With the boil, i might try doing a very hot tea and steeping the hop pellets in there. I will also probably add a couple pellets into the secondary for aroma so aroma wont be completely driven away.

Does anyone have an idea on how dark the Wheat braggot would come out? I know Orange honey is generally as light as clover and the wheat extract will probably be LME or AME if available. (Im calling it The White Viking so if it isnt white, thats a bit of a problem)

Sippin’ hard cider

Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I would do the boil of just a gallon or so and top off if that is all you can do.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well as i said, i cant do a boil easily. (my username is a hint to why)

Sippin’ hard cider

Quick Reply