Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What's your experience with BIOFERM yeast for mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Brew2Be
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What's your experience with BIOFERM yeast for mead?

Hi everyone.

I'm about to order some equipment and yeast for making a few gallons of good ol' mead - however most of the yeast spoken about in guides and in here is not available to me in my country. What is available, however, is some yeast called BIOFERM and some other brands. Has anyone in here used that before when brewing mead? The variants I can get my hands on is as follows:

- BIOFERM Blanc
- BIOFERM Aromatic
- BIOFERM Champ
- BIOFERM Cool
- BIOFERM Doux
- BIOFERM Killer
- BIOFERM Malic
- BIOFERM Rouge

There is also a brand called OENOFERM. The only Wyeast-product i can get is Wyeast - Port Wine 4767 and I don't know how well suited that is for brewing mead?

Thanks in advance!

_

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Any wine yeast will do fine w fermenting mead (assuming you aerate, give it nutrient, etc). I have no experience w Bioferm yeasts, but can recommend Lallemand (aka Lalvin) and RedStar yeasts (I'd definitely suggest the Lalvin first, though). Any LBHS should have these, and if you're ordering online, they're easy to find.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have no idea about Bioferm but it says you are in Columbus....i know there are several homebrew stores there as well as online stores that will stock a variety of yeasts to use.
-cheers

Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew2Be View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm about to order some equipment and yeast for making a few gallons of good ol' mead - however most of the yeast spoken about in guides and in here is not available to me in my country. What is available, however, is some yeast called BIOFERM and some other brands. Has anyone in here used that before when brewing mead? The variants I can get my hands on is as follows:

- BIOFERM Blanc
- BIOFERM Aromatic
- BIOFERM Champ
- BIOFERM Cool
- BIOFERM Doux
- BIOFERM Killer
- BIOFERM Malic
- BIOFERM Rouge

There is also a brand called OENOFERM. The only Wyeast-product i can get is Wyeast - Port Wine 4767 and I don't know how well suited that is for brewing mead?

Thanks in advance!
The only place I can suggest you look would be Brouwland, as they have some limited information about the Bioferm range.

Actually, from the names/listing, they probably conform to some of the "usual suspects" from Lallemand/Lalvin i.e. Bioferm Killer, sounds rather like it's same/similar to Lalvin K1V-1116 (Montpellier strain, which if correct, would make it a good yeast for meads).

And here is a link to the Oenoferm range of yeasts (it does appear that it's also a Brouwland document, from the link), so might help you decide which to use (Google is your friend)

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply