Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What are your mead plans for 2013?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

vinted a brochet yesterday....
see burnt mead thread..

GD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
ocaiwa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Acerglyn- smoked bacon
Melomel- smoked cherry
And I wanted to start experimenting with a ginger tea mead.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #23
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocaiwa
Acerglyn- smoked bacon.
Please tell me how you are going to make a bacon flavored mead. This I gotta see.

Bacon :drool

Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
ocaiwa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitack

Please tell me how you are going to make a bacon flavored mead. This I gotta see.

Bacon :drool
Well. I was at my friends taco party and he had bacon flavored caramel for churros. And it got my brain to chugging along the prospects of bacon mead or bacon acerglyn. So after 30s of finding out how he made his caramel taste so bacony. I was already making plans.
Since I'm not making caramel I cant just use the drippings. So what I'm planning,

boil water with bacon in it. (I'm not sure of ratios yet. This was going to be part of the experiments) it could be as simple as 1Lb-1gallon. But to concentrate the bacon flavor the water will need to be reduced. I'm thinking by about 1/2 so ill end up needing to make enough bacon to water to allow the 1/2 reduction to be plenty of water for the batch I'm making.
I'm not sure if this helped. It's all still in the experimental stage. And at the end it might just stay mental... But I'm going to try any way.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
rowsdower44
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Right now, I'm in the process of making:

Spiced Orange Mead
Lemonade Mead

I figure I'll start the year off simple, then get the ball rolling!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
TeufelHundenM198
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 11 Posts

-5 gallons of Caramel Apple Cyser, which I started two days ago. Hoping it'll be ready for Christmas

-5 gallons Multi-berry melomel made from home grown Black Raspberries, Raspberries, and whatever else comes in this year. I also have a barrel I used to age a batch of rum, which I might use to age this stuff for a year or so.

Perhaps some sort of green or white tea, tupelo honey, mint combination. Depends on if my tea plant is ready or not.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocaiwa

Well. I was at my friends taco party and he had bacon flavored caramel for churros. And it got my brain to chugging along the prospects of bacon mead or bacon acerglyn. So after 30s of finding out how he made his caramel taste so bacony. I was already making plans.
Since I'm not making caramel I cant just use the drippings. So what I'm planning,

boil water with bacon in it. (I'm not sure of ratios yet. This was going to be part of the experiments) it could be as simple as 1Lb-1gallon. But to concentrate the bacon flavor the water will need to be reduced. I'm thinking by about 1/2 so ill end up needing to make enough bacon to water to allow the 1/2 reduction to be plenty of water for the batch I'm making.
I'm not sure if this helped. It's all still in the experimental stage. And at the end it might just stay mental... But I'm going to try any way.
Sounds like it might work. You'll need a way to skim the fat and out off the liquid though. That will not be good in the mead, and I've no idea how the alcohol and oil will interact. Just some thoughts... Now I'm going to do research on how to make a bacon essence/extract.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I bet if you browned some high quality bacon, then boiled in water for a few minutes, then transfer to the fridge for 24 hours you could then skim all the fat off the top and just use the flavourful liquid.

I don't even see the need to reduce, as water is needed in your mead anyways

Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #29
StevenM
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

graff, strawberry graff, cyser, cherry cyser, traditional mead, oaked traditional, hopped traditional, traditional with rose hips, blueberry mead, concord pyment...all going right now....my goal this year is not to have any empty glassware.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #30
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My mead plan this year, brew more of it. I made two batches a couple of years back, but recently picked up a couple of small kegs I'm going to dedicate to meads, which the wife prefers over beer. With those batches I did one straight dry and one semi-sweet and split each batch and made a couple of metheglins. I picked up some raspberries last weekend and my first melomel is into it's fourth day of fermentation.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply