Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What wood you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 723 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate504 View Post
Me and the neighbor made a few batches of mead back in October and it has developed very nicely judging by the sample bottle he drew out yesterday.

He is very much a noob when it comes to brewing in general and I am fairly new to mead making in general, but anyway he was asking about adding some wood into some of his mead ...possibility setting aside a gallon or two and adding some alder wood cubes since he likes smoking a lot with alder and he thought that alder would make a nice note of flavor to mead.

Not having done any experimenting with oaking beers and such I came back here to do some homework. What are some thoughts about using other woods with aging mead specifically and brewing in general?

I cant think of any reason why not to do it, but at the same time i dont want to ruin several gallons of otherwise good mead.

BTw we have a straight mead, a mixed berry mead, an apple mead, and a cherry mead between the two of us totaling almost 30 gal. ( We were given almost an entire 5 gal bucket of honey from a local bee keeper in exchange for a few cases of finished mead.)
It seems to me that you never hear about people using alder wood in their meads/wines for a reason. Might be that reason is that it doesn't work well, or that it contributes off flavours. If it's really awsome, you'd think somebody would've figured it out by now. If you're really that curious, rack a gallon onto the wood & taste it every few days or so, maybe it'll be good, who knows? If you're feeling adventurous, try racking onto some smoked malt, that'll definately give you some smoky flavour, but I'm not sure just what wood(s) they use to smoke it with. Regards, GF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply