Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What kind of mead is that!?! Awesome/Terrifying?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #21
bodhi86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm way too late to this discussion for my suggestion to make a difference now, but if you try this again in the future you should add ginger to it. Sounds wierd but carrot ginger soup is one of the greatest flavors. Well balanced sweet and herby spice. Probly make for at least a drinkable unique bottle.

If you want to drink the best booze, your gonna have to make it yourself.
Punk Ass Mead, "Rebellious by Nature"

Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #22
svenalope
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've tried carrot wine twice, once in a five gallon carboy and again when I got me some rain barrels for fermenting in, because carrots and sugar were the cheapest way I could come up with to fill a barrel. The five gallon barrels came out great, cleared up a lot like yours is looking, and it finished of fairly sweet. It didn't taste very carroty, but it kind of got a sort of cinnamon flavor. That stuff is all gone now, but it would've been great to mull, and the ginger is a great idea.
My barrel hasn't turned out so well, several months later and it's still cloudy and a bit sour. After reading this, I think it must've been contaminated, but I've also read that carrots actually have a lot of pectin in them for vegetables, and that all root vegetables should be boiled before fermenting. Got some pectic enzyme in there working on it right now, we'll see if that works. Did you add pectic enzyme or boil this or anything, or just the basic stuff?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenalope View Post
Did you add pectic enzyme or boil this or anything, or just the basic stuff?
Just threw the straight stuff in there. It was a "what do i have in the house that might ferment" whim experiment.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #24
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This is why I homebrew, I love theres threads.

I have had carrot and tomato wine. I liked the carrot, in fact i bought two bottles one went down my throat the other was used in a tasty beef carrot and leek soup.
The tomato wine was pleasant but i immediately slapped myself in the forehead and said "coulda had a v8"..... You have no idea how long ive been wating to use that joke

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Quick Reply