Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What honey type for a spiced cyser?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
StarmanTTLB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What honey type for a spiced cyser?

I'm trying my hand at a cyser for the first time, and the recipe I have calls for a "medium to full bodied" honey. In addition to the honey, water, and cider, it adds brown sugar, raisins, and dates. Once in the secondary fermenter it'll have some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

I locally found some Buckwheat honey, and had it described as dark, very molasses-like, and perfect for stronger meads. It seems like this would be a perfect match. However, the seller suggested Pepper Honey or Bamboo Honey instead for this recipe.

What do you folks use?

Thanks!

Last edited by StarmanTTLB; 10-03-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I generally use local wildflower honey...the apple is what really should stand out anyway...

Regarding the "pepper honey," I assume you mean honey from the Brazilian Pepper Tree...I have tasted this honey, and it is a nice honey...while it's not something that I might choose to make a pure varietal mead with, I'd think it would make a great cyser.

You will find mixed opinions on buckwheat mead...I personally like the taste of the honey, but have yet to try a mead made with it...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I wouldn't use buckwheat for my first cyser. It can make a good cyser, but often takes a lot of aging and has a strong flavor that is definitely not for everyone's tastes. Something light in color with a flavor that is less phenolic might be a good idea.

A good local wildflower might work, and there are many choices depending on what honey you can find. Down here in Florida, Tupelo works well, and palmetto honey can be good in cysers. Up in your area, cranberry honey might work well.

Quick Reply