Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What can I do with Mesquite Honey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Just to pick nits ... a mead with yeast energizer is not a show mead - that would be a traditional mead. The mead police are very picky sometimes.

Definitely taste it diluted as centworthy suggested. I've had mesquite honey and I liked it very much. Unlike SouthernGorilla I can definitely taste a difference in varietals and making a traditional mead is an excellent way to appreciate them.

SouthernGorilla, make a traditional with 100% clover and then one with 100% buckwheat and then come back and tell me you can't taste the difference.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
BoatShark
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
Just to pick nits ... a mead with yeast energizer is not a show mead - that would be a traditional mead. The mead police are very picky sometimes.

Definitely taste it diluted as centworthy suggested. I've had mesquite honey and I liked it very much. Unlike SouthernGorilla I can definitely taste a difference in varietals and making a traditional mead is an excellent way to appreciate them.

SouthernGorilla, make a traditional with 100% clover and then one with 100% buckwheat and then come back and tell me you can't taste the difference.
Pickin' Nits is great - only way I'm gonna learn!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Just an addendum to nitty pickin nit pickers: If your yeast needs a charge, you can boil bread yeast in a bit of water to use as nutrient. And since it's still yeast, it's still a show!

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
centworthy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy

Oh my buckwheat honey in a traditional mead. I had a gallon of buckwheat and after the dilution test decided to go with a bochet. It burnt the barn yardness right out of it. Can't imagine how a traditional mead would taste with buckwheat, yikes

Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mesquite honey still tastes like honey. If there's a distinct flavor to it, I can't tell. I made my first batch of mead from TJ's mesquite honey. Turned out great.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #16
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Coming from the southwest I've used mesquite a lot. I can say nix the ec-1118 and go with something less attenuative, D-47 is a really nice one if you can keep the fermentation temps down. Mesquite is also not so good bone dry but i've never aged any that came out dry to see if it improves. I'd say less aggressive yeast, good fermentation temp control, a good oak adjunct (American cubes are good for the Mesquite flavors) and a medium dry (1.006-1.010) to sweet finish is fantastic. I recommend a long and complete fermentation and aging on oak, then stabilize with sorbate/sulfite or sterile filter and bottle, then lay down for 6+ months, though with a medium sweetness it'll be acceptable around 3 if the alc% isn't greater than 14% or so.

EDIT:
I used mesquite honey for a roasted hatch green chile batch I did and it came out superb, the honey aroma lifts out from the glass long after the mead is gone, and the heat is flavorful and reminds me of late august in my city when there's roasted hatch green chile vendors everywhere and the smell permeates the mountain rain-soaked air. Sorry for the tangent, I love mead

Old 05-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
BoatShark
Recipes 

Brewed the 2 meads on 5/6. I racked off one of my batches on 5/15, added 2 lbs of pureed mixed berries and 1 oz of ginger. Hydrometer reading was 1.004. Within a week there was a significant amount of what looked like spent yeast floating on the top. On 5/23 I tested for flavor - hot but not bad so I racked off to clean carboy and removed the ginger. I seem to be loosing a lot of mead every time I rack so need to look in to a filtration system. My second batched fermented a bit longer, wasn't ready for primary until 5/20. I added 1 oz od oak chips I soaked in JD and a large brown chipotle pepper, will check it in a few days. Forgot to take a reading when I racked.

Quick Reply