Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > What can I do with Mesquite Honey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
BoatShark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What can I do with Mesquite Honey

Hi, new to the forum.
I used to make mead many moons ago. I was in Trader Joes and saw Mesquite and decided right then I had to try it in a mead. Then I realized I wasn't sure what to do. I looked around several forums and the only suggestions were a show mead and prickly pear melomel. I decided to make 2 1 gallon show meads, let them sit through primary and decide what to do next. I was thinking of adding mixed berries to both during secondary and then adding ginger to one and chipotle to the other.

Since I'm not familiar with the flavor profile of the mesquite mead I'd like to know what others think. Will berries taste ok with this honey and will ginger work? I'm guessing the chipotle will be ok, but not sure how much to use or if I should rehydrate the peppers or not?

1 gallon Show Recipe was:
3 lbs Mesquite Honey
Lalvin EC 118
1 Tsp Yeast Nutrient
OG 1.110
Brewed on 5/7/13

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Ginger works great in a mead. We just did a ginger mead with 4 oz of ginger in a one gallon batch.

As for the honey... I'm probably going to start a war over this... but I have yet to see any real difference in my meads despite using a variety of honeys. But I always use other fun things like coffee or berries or spices in my meads. So there isn't much opening for all the subtle flavors of honey to come through.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I have three traditionals going with three different honeys and they are radically different tasting.

You should be able to taste the honey and come up with decent pairings for it, for example I just did a carmelized rewarawara tropical fruit melomel. I felt the prominent flavour would stand up well to the fruit, and the caramel aspect would nicely complement the banana.

Often Ingredients from the same area work well together, and a delicate varietal should be paired with a milder flavouring agent. Light, buttery, fireweed I would not choose for a capsacumel, nor would I nessesarily put buckwheat with a more delicate flavor, like a dandelion mead. Our local, very floral, wild flower should pair very well with local Saskatoon berries in late summer.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
centworthy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmm I can't imagine what mesquite honey would taste like. I got great advice from one of the seasoned pros on this forum when I was wondering what type of mead to make from an unusual honey. His advice: dilute a spoonful in some water (about a half cup) then smell and taste it. Turns out that diluting it removes the overpowering sweetness and allows you to taste and smell the flavors that will likely come out in the mead. I have found it much easier to decide what type of mead to make as these flavors and smells tend to guide me in a direction I may not have gone had I not done the dilution test. It's a great way to get creative with your mead

Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just from the sound of it... I think racking onto lightly toasted oak chips and maybe some coffee bean would be a nice touch... Not familiar with "mesquite" though.

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
BoatShark
Recipes 

Coffee beans and oak chips sounds very interesting. How much of each would I need in a one gallon batch and how would I prepare them to be added to the must?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I made a bochet with that same Mesquite honey, the 3lb Trader joes for 9.99. Turned out Awesome, I have a picture floatingaround the mead picture thread, and on my blog in the bochet post.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 45
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatShark
Coffee beans and oak chips sounds very interesting. How much of each would I need in a one gallon batch and how would I prepare them to be added to the must?
As far as oak chips go, about eight oz. will probably be fine for a 1 gallon batch. I'd probably say anywhere from 2 oz. to 16 oz, depending on how much coffee flavor you like try experimenting with ingredient levels in both do you know what you like in the future. Keep in mind that you should only add this in secondary, not primary, and be sure to taste test and rack again where the flavor is at a stage you like. Take this all with a grain of salt, of course. I am by no means an expert in this field. Good luck!

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadiator View Post
As far as oak chips go, about eight oz. will probably be fine for a 1 gallon batch.
8 oz. of oak is WAY too much for a one gallon batch! A lot of people use 1 oz for 5 gallons. I'd start with 1/2 oz for a week or two and see where you're at.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 45
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
BoatShark
Recipes 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided that I'll add 1/2 oz. oak chips and one dried chipotle and test it after one week, then add more based on the taste. I have some Jack Daniels oak chips for my smoker. I was thinking about rinsing them and then soaking in some JD to sanitize over night. Second batch will be 2 lbs. mixed berries & 1/4 oz. ginger, just want to compare the 2 flavors with this honey.

Quick Reply