The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Wedding Mead - Input Appreciated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Wedding Mead - Input Appreciated

I'm getting married at the end of the year and we just decided to give out little bottles of mead to the guests as one of the guest-present things (sorry for the lack of terminology, all this is new to me!). So I know I'm waaaay late getting started. Oops. And I've made a few meads but never really done anything by the book, it's always been, well I've got some honey and some ale yeast, lets throw them together and see what happens. I want to do this one right, and with the short 3.5-4 months I have, I need it to be pretty quick.

I've already got 12 lbs. of orange-blossom honey and 2 packs of d-47 on the way. I have DAP and fermaid-k. I don't have any go-ferm. I was planning on just doing a straight orange blossom honey mead with no other honeys or flavorants (unless you think it needs some wine tannins or acid or something, I have no idea). So my questions are as follows:

1. How big should my batch be? I only have 12 lbs of honey so if I make 5 gallons it might be a little weak, right? But won't it age quicker? I think I'll need at least 3 gallons in order to get bottles to everyone. They'll probably be smaller than 12 oz. decorative bottles.

2. Should I pitch one or two packs of the d-47, and is go-ferm necessary or will rehydrating in water alone work fine?

3. I'll be staggering nutrient additions according to the sticky unless someone has a better plan to speed this up. I'm not trying to have it drinkable by the wedding, just cleared and bottled. I'll let everyone know it will only get better the longer they age it. Hopefully I'll have several bottles to keep and age for anniversaries as well!

I guess that's it for questions now, thanks for taking the time to help out! I want to ask about water profile target but that might be taking it too far.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

I would do 2 packets of yeast, expect it to dry out with so little honey. I would add atleast 6 more pounds of honey if you are looking for a sweet mead. Ofcourse a dry champaign mead is good too. With the clearing, Primary should last 1-2 weeks. Then rack to the secondary, then rack each month. I have heard some using filters to clear it quicker. I think a dose of Sparkloid and cold crashing would be good some time 1 month before bottling it. Cold crashing is bringing the temp of it down to under the yeast temp tolorance upon which is settles and then most yeast sink to the bottom. Sparkloid is also a good clearing agent, How you use it is you mix up the sparkloid hot and rack onto it. Then it should clear fairly quickly. For speed sake, you can use the sparkloid and then wait 2 weeks and try it again. Now this should age a year before it is aged properly and drinkable. So your 1 year aniversiery should be fine.

For a 5 gallon batch You can get 42-48 22 oz bottles. That is the regular beer size. The fun is in labling it too. You can photoshop up a lable and buy at your local brew store gummy paper that you can send through the printer. Cut, stick on. Done.

Con grats by the way.

a day before bottling hit is up with a dose of potasium sorbate to stop fermentation so that you don't have bottle bombs for your guests.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i did a simple cyser and it was done in about 3 months, maybe less

i used 15 lbs of clover honey in 7 gallons of water, yeast food, did a short boil, didn't skim protiens off the top. pitched 118 champ. yeast. after 1 week added 10lbs of cored peeled pasturized and pureed apples, left for 3 weeks on fruit, transfered to carboy, let sit for 1 and a half months and we never bottled this one, i put it in a bottling bucket with a spigot and we drank it just like that from the fridge. it was great

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Thanks for the help guys! By the way, although I don't make it in here to the mead forum often, I brew beer a couple times a month, so I know all about cold crashing, racking, bottling and all that. I'm mainly interested in the subtle differences peculiar to mead-making. And matrix, do you mean 12 oz bottles? There's no way in hell you can get 42-48 22-ouncers from five gallons!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
SpaceInvadingMonkeys
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

12 lbs of honey will make a somewhat dry mead. A medium show mead has ~12.5-14 lbs of honey; you are just a little under that. No problem there.

Go-ferm really just increases the number of viable yeast cells that make it out ok from dehydration. My first mead didn't use that or staggered nutrients and it turned out delicious!

If you do the staggered nutrients and just do a straight up simple mead, it will almost certainly be cleared and ready to bottle before then. I started one in April and it has been clear for about a month now I think.

I believe that using the two packets of yeast won't make that much of a different. It may decrease the time it takes for something to into "violent" ferementation as less cells are needed to replicate. So I don't see how using two packets will negatively effect flavour.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
kenche
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could always add a little note on the bottle asking people to open it on your one year anniversary to help you celebrate.

This will ensure a pleasant mead experience for all.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i almost forgot, i also added 1lb of dark german candi sugar to the cyser at about week 3. this stuff had great flavor, loads of apples, nice sweet mead. it was my best so far

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceInvadingMonkeys View Post
12 lbs of honey will make a somewhat dry mead. A medium show mead has ~12.5-14 lbs of honey; you are just a little under that. No problem there.

Go-ferm really just increases the number of viable yeast cells that make it out ok from dehydration. My first mead didn't use that or staggered nutrients and it turned out delicious!

If you do the staggered nutrients and just do a straight up simple mead, it will almost certainly be cleared and ready to bottle before then. I started one in April and it has been clear for about a month now I think.

I believe that using the two packets of yeast won't make that much of a different. It may decrease the time it takes for something to into "violent" ferementation as less cells are needed to replicate. So I don't see how using two packets will negatively effect flavour.
Thanks for the advice. I could always lower the volume to 4 gallons or so to get it into the show mead range if that was thought to be better. I think an off-dry mead would be best for this one. Not so dry as to put some people off, but also not so sweet as to be candy-like or dessert-y. What kind of OG should I aim for to get an off-dry mead with d-47?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Thanks for the help guys! By the way, although I don't make it in here to the mead forum often, I brew beer a couple times a month, so I know all about cold crashing, racking, bottling and all that. I'm mainly interested in the subtle differences peculiar to mead-making. And matrix, do you mean 12 oz bottles? There's no way in hell you can get 42-48 22-ouncers from five gallons!
Sorry, Typo. Yes, 12 oz bottles.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Alright, this mead stalled a few times and I finally got it moving again but it's only down to 1.028 right now(OG was 1.101). I tasted it and it tastes great, if a little boozy and the sweetness wasn't at all cloying. So I need to get it cleared up and prevent bottle bombs a nd I've only got about a week. I know I'm pushing it. I was thinking about racking it to another carboy on top of some campden tablets (how many? volume is about 4 gallons) and some gelatin (unless some other clarifier is suggested), then putting it in the chest freezer to crash cool. Would this plan work? Thanks everyone for any help!

Quick Reply