Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > watered down mead .. does it still have a chance?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
txseamonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default watered down mead .. does it still have a chance?

I have a 5 galloon batch of blueberry melomel going and recently found out tht my 24 yo daughter and her friends 'sampled' it and then filled water back up to there it was.

So my question is ... is this batch ruined? It tastes smooth enough .. but doesn't have the body that I expected.

Can I add more fruit, yeast and nutrients to it at this point ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
ScottConklin
Recipes 

If its still actively fermenting, just add more honey. Should even itself out...

Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Body isn't something I associate with mead, even a sweet one. Any idea what the dilution ration was?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

24 is not too old to spank, you know.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
WheresOurFish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Personally, I would be concerned about contamination. Anybody stupid enough to do what you described would be suspect of not following sanitation protocols. How far along was the mead when it happened? If there was already a fair amount of alcohol present, you might be OK. If not, you might want to keep your eye out for unusual growths or odors.

I sure hope she's learned her lesson . . .

As for where to go next, that really depends on the stage of your mead. Since the water added probably diluted your must down some, your yeast should have some room to grow still. Adding honey and blueberries (or juice) might allow the fermentation to kick in again and get you closer to where you were originally. If the mead had already pretty much finished clarification, you might need to pitch some fresh yeast, as there might not be enough left in suspension to get things going again. If you can give people more details about where things were at, I'm sure some of the more senior board members can give you some best guess options.

Why yes, my house does smell musty. Thank you for noticing.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
24 is not too old to spank, you know.
yeah, send her over here. I'll give her a good spanking.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow, where to begin... Your 24 yo daughter sounds like a real prize. I hope you make the most of every opportunity to bring this up, holidays, family reunions, any encounter with her friends, or a thursday to mention the booze hound and her escapades.

As far as the mead do you have any idea how much they sampled? I imagine they just poured right from the carboy and topped it up with some tap water. As said in a previous post contamination is an issue.

Since it's already topped up unless you have a bigger vessel and want to transfer and wait longer adding more fermentables may be a problem. If your og was already on the high side and the sampled amount was relatively small it might be ok as is, barring any beasties. If the og wasn't too high to begin with you could take a sample for yourself and top it up with honey but that will start the clock over again. If it tastes ok as it sits it might be best to leave it and torture her with it daily.

Cheers

Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #8
txseamonkey
Recipes 

She used bottled water, so I'm really not worried about the contamination. I'm not sure about the dilution ration .. but I would guess probably 1 - 1/2 gallon of water was added. I had racked it 3 times, was not actively fermenting and had been aging for about 6 months. I haven't checked the alcohol content since the last racking - at that time it was around 17%. It just tastes watery to me .. so the word "body" may not be the right word to use. And maybe it's my imagination because I know about the added water.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by txseamonkey View Post
I have a 5 galloon batch of blueberry melomel going and recently found out tht my 24 yo daughter and her friends 'sampled' it and then filled water back up to there it was.

So my question is ... is this batch ruined? It tastes smooth enough .. but doesn't have the body that I expected.

Can I add more fruit, yeast and nutrients to it at this point ?
break out the holy hand grenade!!!!! and add some more pure honey, as suggested. another 2 lbs , and another 2 months, wouldn't hurt

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
txseamonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
break out the holy hand grenade!!!!! and add some more pure honey, as suggested. another 2 lbs , and another 2 months, wouldn't hurt
I added the 2 lbs of honey and now there's activity again - bubbling away. After 3 rackings and the added water I really didn't think there would be enough live yeast to start up again.

This is only my second batch - so, is this a good thing?

Quick Reply