Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > want to use beer yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
solusveritas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default want to use beer yeast

i want to make a lower alchohol mead that is ready to drink faster than average. could i use beer yeast for this? if so, what kind would be good to use? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You will still get higher attenuation than with beer but having said that I suggest Wyeast 1968 (very flocculant and will fall out of solution near the end of the ferment). I use this to make a cider with some residual sweetness.

On the other hand if what you want is a "dry" but lower alc mead then just use less honey and more water and pitch EC-1118 (champagne yeast)

We who are about to Brew, salute you!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
solusveritas
Recipes 

thanks, i think i might try using the Wyeast and see how i like it.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've used Wyeast 1056 (american ale) on some 8-9% meads, and gotten a nice fruity compliment to the honey flavor with it. I fermented it a little warmer than normal, about 72 degrees to bring out the fruit esters

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
solusveritas
Recipes 

Great thanks. Unfortunately my local homebrew shop doesn't carry Wyeast, so I'm going to have to wait on shipping times to try it.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

White Labs will work as well, but you certainly can try it with a dry yeast. It might be a good idea to get it going in a starter first, a honey starter, not DME

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 07-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRLynch View Post
White Labs will work as well, but you certainly can try it with a dry yeast. It might be a good idea to get it going in a starter first, a honey starter, not DME
+1 WhiteLabs 001 is the same yeast strain as 1056. Starters are good...for liquid yeast! Dry yeast does not need a starter...if you want to increase cell counts to an appropriate pitch rate, pitch more packets

Old 07-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
mnblonde
Recipes 

I make a very light knock you on your arse mead that is quick to drink with champagne yeast-work EVERY time :} thats what i used the 2nd time i made mead-HATED the first one-was thick like maple syrup! I had some champagne yeast and WOW!!!!! I made 2 batches for my sisters Nordic wedding-a straight mread and a melomel {sp}{sorry DRINKING!!} made em 2 weeks before the wedding and had one SNOB tell me they were the best he ahd tasted!!! I can't get the Funky yeasts here-yet-we(hubby works at a univ in bio with 3 HB!!!) they are culturing as you read this!!! WHOOT WHOOT!!!!

MNBlonde :}

Last edited by mnblonde; 07-09-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
meadroid
Recipes 

I'm just getting started out with mead (raise our own bees so we have a lot of honey, though). I chucked together a batch on a whim using some sour cherry juice. I boiled the cherries and then melted the raw somewhat crystalized honey into them and then added the water, heated it to a sterile point, and strained. I then reconstituted a packet of dry beer yeast and chucked it in. The airlock is bubbling nicely.

I'm wondering how long this will take with the beer yeast? When should I move it over to a secondary?

I'm going to start a batch with some 'quicker' champagne yeasts (as well as a slower one with the wyeast sweet mead). Any idea of the timing on these either. Just trying to get a feel as I jump into this.

Quick Reply