Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > want to try a pyment
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
StevenM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Charles, mo
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default want to try a pyment

Ok, so I have 4 5 gallon carboys full of mead aging away. I have been asking friends and neighbors, what is their favorite pie and jam, to get new ideas. I buddy of mine says he likes grape jelly. I assume it is a concord grape jelly. I want to try a 1 gallon batch of a pyment (thinking of concord juice as my base). Has anyone tried this and did it turn out good enough? Or is it so bad that I need to use a grape puree from a wine shop? Any tried a true recepies that anyone is willing to give up? Thanks for all the help.

__________________
StevenM is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,089
Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

The following recipe is really well known:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...120&Itemid=459

I personally would use Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast over ec-1118. So the only real hard to get ingredient is buckwheat honey. I vote for this to be given a try.

__________________

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Arpolis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Lushife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ
Posts: 706
Liked 83 Times on 63 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis
The following recipe is really well known:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...120&Itemid=459

I personally would use Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast over ec-1118. So the only real hard to get ingredient is buckwheat honey. I vote for this to be given a try.
Why not ec-1118?
__________________
Lushife is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
Bluespark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 417
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Ec1118 strips flavour from whatever your fermenting. I have used it for a cider, then used ale yeast for a similar cider and the difference was huge.

Right now I'm using kv1116, lalvin d47 and 1122, which I have heard all leave much better flavour.

I'm making a concord pyment right now that is coming along nicely, but its not done, so can't give you any input.

__________________
Bluespark is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
Lushife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ
Posts: 706
Liked 83 Times on 63 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespark
Ec1118 strips flavour from whatever your fermenting. I have used it for a cider, then used ale yeast for a similar cider and the difference was huge.

Right now I'm using kv1116, lalvin d47 and 1122, which I have heard all leave much better flavour.

I'm making a concord pyment right now that is coming along nicely, but its not done, so can't give you any input.
Oh, I wish I knew that before putting in my first mead about an hour ago. Oh well, I had it laying around. Anything to fix that?
__________________
Lushife is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,089
Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lushife View Post
Oh, I wish I knew that before putting in my first mead about an hour ago. Oh well, I had it laying around. Anything to fix that?
No not really. With 1118 it may just take more aging before the mead really starts to shine but there are some on this site that have traditional meads made with 1118 and they love them. Just took a long bit of aging. (18+ months)
__________________

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Arpolis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Lushife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ
Posts: 706
Liked 83 Times on 63 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis

No not really. With 1118 it may just take more aging before the mead really starts to shine but there are some on this site that have traditional meads made with 1118 and they love them. Just took a long bit of aging. (18+ months)
I guess I can deal with that. I only a 1 gallon batch, mainly out of boredom
__________________
Lushife is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #8
StevenM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Charles, mo
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

i'll give that welches receipe a try. Thanks everybody. I too use 1116 and d47 on my meads. On ciders I normally use an ale yeast. I would use a wine yeast if making a german apfelvine. I have been thinking of using a belgian ale yeast or a hefeweitzen yeast on a cider. Not sure though, we'll see. I have apfelwine, perry, oaked cyser, and a cherry cyser bottled. In carboys I have a blueberry mead, traditional mead, graff, and another cyser started. Was thinking of starting the pyment, and next 5 gallon carboy open might turn into a strawberry rhubarb. Alot in carboys, not enough bottled and aged enough yet. I need to start keeping bees. The honey prices are absurd.

__________________
StevenM is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pyment Ideas PsychicOctopus Mead Forum 4 02-02-2012 08:30 PM
My first Pyment Mustangj Mead Forum 8 10-21-2011 11:31 PM
Riesling Pyment Texron Mead Forum 8 05-05-2011 04:47 AM
Simple Pyment jdinger29 Mead Forum 0 01-24-2010 09:43 PM
Red Vs. White in Pyment digdan Mead Forum 5 05-27-2009 12:48 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS