Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Viking Blood

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #21
hightest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

FYI...

Please note that I have corrected the recipe title as my recipe is for a version of Klapøjster Mjød, not Viking Blød.

Visit me at the Brew Brothers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #22
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

2 gallons of mead made with 12 pounds of honey is 1.264 og at 100% efficiency....thats a strong ass mead....even if it attenuated to 1.010, you've made the following;

Corrected Original Gravity : 1.264 Corrected Final Gravity : 1.010
Alcohol by Weight : 37.82 % Alcohol by Volume : 48.12 %
Total Calories per 12oz. serving : 1,103 Calories from Alcohol per 12oz. serving : 936
Carbohydrates per 12 oz. serving : 41.9 Calories from Carbs per 12oz. serving : 168
Corrected SG in degrees plato : 53.81 Corrected FG in degrees plato : 2.56
Apparent Attenuation : 0.952 Real Attenuation : 0.781

HAHAHA!

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #23
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor the Mighty View Post
2 gallons of mead made with 12 pounds of honey is 1.264 og ....even if it attenuated to 1.010, you've made the following; Corrected Original Gravity : 1.264 Corrected Final Gravity : 1.010
Alcohol by Volume : 48.12%
I'm not sure how you've arrived at these values, but using 12 lbs of 18% MC honey mixed with 15½ C of water yields a must whose OG is 1.214 ±0.005 and has a volume of 1.99 Gal. If that were fermented to a FG =1.010, it would have an alcohol content of 27.2% ±0.3%

Visit me at the Brew Brothers

Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 AM   #24
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i was using brewheads.com's brew calculators....no wonder my batches have been coming out like **** lately!

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
xupra
Recipes 

Viking Blood
Manufacturer: Danish mead A / S

Contents: Honey added hops and hibiscus, water, spices. 19% alc.

Available in:

* Black stone bottle of 70 cl.

* Rustic Bottle 20 cl.

* 10 l canister for restaurants and similar

Uses: Dessert wine, aperitif, marinade.
See bottle hangs for further use.

Storage: Barskab may not get sunlight.
There may be precipitate since there is no additives.
Mead're never too old, it only gets better with time.

Taste Profile: Seasoned as a madeira.

I felt really lazy and just directly translated this from the original Danish manufacturer, it should contain the info of what's inside the actual recipe, but might not be a 100% English.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I was fortunate enough to find and buy a bottle of Viking's Blod. At $40/bottle, i'm attempting to wait until a couple friends come over to try it out. Cannot wait to give it a try!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #27
Bearmaul
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog22 View Post
I was fortunate enough to find and buy a bottle of Viking's Blod. At $40/bottle, i'm attempting to wait until a couple friends come over to try it out. Cannot wait to give it a try!
Viking Blod was my very first mead. It was good enough that I ended up on this forum every day with 12 gallons of mead fermenting in my back room. I hope you enjoy
Kdog22 Likes This 
Old 08-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I couldn't wait any longer. I cracked it open last night.. My god... This stuff is delicious! Dangerously delicious. I could have easily finished of that 750ml bottle myself last night. It's a shame it's $40/ bottle, otherwise I'd buy a few at a time to keep extra on hand.

Someone needs to find a perfect clone recipe for this!

Old 08-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #29
honreth
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Looked over this thread and thought to myself...." this sounds like a job for google." So i did just that and foound this recipe on the gotmead forum. linked and posted the recipe. This looks like a heck of a long time mead. And Ironically it links back to HBT for a thread here... LOL!

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18698
Hibiscomel (Hibiscus Mead)

1.5 oz dried hibiscus flowers
2 lbs premium grade honey
3 liters water
1.75 tsp citric acid
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 sachet Champagne or mead yeast
Boil the honey in half the water, stirring occasionally until the honey is dissolved. Reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes, skimming all scum off top as it forms. Tie flowers in nylon straining bag and place in primary. Pour the hot honey-water over flowers and stir in citric acid and yeast nutrient. Cover primary and set aside until it assumes room temperature. Add activated yeast as a starter solution and recover the primary to keep dust and insects out. Stir daily and punch down nylon bag until vigorous fermentation subsides. Remove straining bag and transfer mead to secondary fermentation vessel. Attach airlock and top up with water when fermentation ceases. Retain in secondary for 60 days from transfer date. Rack to a sanitized secondary, top up and reattach airlock. Set aside undisturbed for 60 days and rack again. If brilliantly clear, wait 30 days to see if light dusting develops on bottom. If so, wait additional 30 days and rack, top up and reattach airlock for another 30 days. If not brilliantly clear, wait full 60 days and rack, top up and reattach airlock. Then follow previous instructions when mead is brilliantly clear. Sulfite with one finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet, bottle and set aside to age one year minimum. [Recipe adapted by author from creation by Brian Ryan, Western Australian]

Brian made his mead with 3+ ounces of fresh hibiscus flowers. I do not know how it turned out flavor-wise, but I suspect his alcohol was around 8% because of the amount of honey used and the increased volume to an Imperial gallon. Different sources report different figures, but I have always gone along with the conventional wisdom that you use 1.25 pounds of honey as an equal to one pound of sugar. To produce a 12% alcohol dry mead, one would then use 2.5 pounds of honey per U.S. gallon or 3 pounds per Imperial gallon. Of course, mead is not wine and there is no requirement for either that it be 12% alcohol. I went ahead and used the 2 pounds of honey and produced a dry mead at about 9.75% alcohol. When the mead was finished and ready to bottle, I added a quarter-teaspoon of citric acid to it to give it just a little more perk

Quick Reply