Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Viking Blod - Recipe Assistance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 35

No, you need some sugar in the boil liquid, apparently. You could do this thing that extract brewers do, though, and add most but not all of your honey at the end of the boil.

Boil a quarter to half of it with the hops, then add the rest near or after flameout. This will increase hop utilization a bit; if you have a program like Beersmith, you can have the softeware calculate the additional IBUs for you so you can adjust your hop amounts accordingly.

Bottled - Brett B Red Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, JAOM, Mixed Berry Mead, SMaSH Lager, Strawberry Wine (2013), Vanilla Wine, White Grape Juice Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Hop utilization is different depending on the gravity of the liquid it's boiling in. But I have never heard that ther eis no utilization in water only. That doesn't make any sense to me.

People make hop teas all the time with just water. Although I've never heard talk of IBUs with a hop tea.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 35

That's what I meant; supposedly you get very poor bittering without sugar in the solution. You can get flavor and/or aroma, but Viking Blod definitely has some bittering to it, so you'd have to boil at least some of the honey with the bittering hops.

Bottled - Brett B Red Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, JAOM, Mixed Berry Mead, SMaSH Lager, Strawberry Wine (2013), Vanilla Wine, White Grape Juice Wine

Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
blh3d
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Just to clarify, the hibiscus is purely for color? And if so has anyone used it in beer?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #25
seth8530
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm, so it seems to me the trick would be to use as little honey as possible in the boil so as to maximize the hop extraction and simultaneously minimize the damage to the over all honey aroma.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
thecad
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I added the hibiscus in a different way then what I've seen posted. When I transfered to the secondary I made a "hibiscus tea" by boiling the petals in a pot of water. I then added that to the secondary to fill the empy space left from reracking. Any thoughts on how this may effect the final product? My OG was insanly high so I'm not to concerned with diluting it a little.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
reezle
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like the idea of a 'Hibiscus Tea' a lot. Was also thinking next time around to add the last 5 or so pounds of honey in stages (perhaps along with the nutrient additions), so the yeast don't have such an extreme environment to get started in. That would help the yeast out, plus ensure there is some unboiled honey in the mix... Just need to make sure to add it in before the abv gets too high.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #28
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 25

First of all, boiling honey isn't as bad as some mazers make it out to be...it's just a different technique. I feel like I'm posting this link for the hundredth time...

Regarding the hop utilization issue, there are multiple factors that make wort/must better for extraction of bitterness and flavor from hops; check out this neat primer on hop utilization from BYO magazine...

When I do my hop metheglins, I split the difference: boil half the honey, and add the other half during cooling (once the temps get down to around 100 or so)...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #29
HHammer
Recipes 

I love this mead, and want to give this a shot. anyone who made it want to post tasting notes? did it come out close? any changes you would make to the posted recipe? also where did your abv end up? Brewsmith says i will get almost 24% but the got mead calculator says 18% and that is a huge gap for the same numbers. thanks

Old 04-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
thecad
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never had the orginal but I think it came out fantastic. My final ABV was around 17% (don't got my numbers handy) according to my fuzzy math. Some people said that the caraway seeds gave it to much of a grassy taste.

Quick Reply