New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > A very merry holidays for mead making

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
2ndGenBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A very merry holidays for mead making

Hello fellow brewers! I hope all of you had a great holiday? I'm normally not one to brag... but I just had to say that my SWMBO's gift this year was great! I finally got myself a demi-john!

The question I have is it's suppose to be up to 15 gallons. I've heard only 14 are usable though. Should I just triple my 5 gallon recipes or do you think I should adjust for the missing gallon?

Again, hope everybodies holidays go great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
fatbloke
Complete nugget!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenBrewer View Post
Hello fellow brewers! I hope all of you had a great holiday? I'm normally not one to brag... but I just had to say that my SWMBO's gift this year was great! I finally got myself a demi-john!

The question I have is it's suppose to be up to 15 gallons. I've heard only 14 are usable though. Should I just triple my 5 gallon recipes or do you think I should adjust for the missing gallon?

Again, hope everybodies holidays go great!
Hum? I suspect it's a case of establishing the exact size (with water) and then scaling the recipe accordingly.

Personally, while I routinely use between 3 and 3.5lb honey per gallon (Imperial gallon or 4.55 litres), I mix the minimum of honey in most of the water to get a guide gravity measurement. I then have some idea of whether I need to add the last bit of honey to bring the gravity up a bit or whether I need to dilute a little to reduce it......

S'up to you....

regards

fatbloke

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply