HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Using real pressed cider for cyser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
centworthy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke
Not bad looking Bluespark, but it looks (not sure if it's the brew or the picture) like there's still a little haziness in there.

Which I'd have thought, will eventually settle out in the bottle giving you even greater clarity, but you have to be careful when pouring/serving as the last glass or two will probably pick up a little bit of what drops out over time....

As for the OP, most apple juice when pressed, has at least some cloudiness to it. If it's "gin clear" (except for the colour/oxidation level of the juice) then it's likely been filtered.

The only reason for filtration of the juice is for marketing reasons i.e. it looks prettier when clear. The cloudy stuff is likely more natural, though equally it does tend to darken with oxidation over time - which is usually why they add some preservatives, though generally stuff like sulphites or ascorbic acid/vitamin C. The former needs dissipating if present, whereas the later is fine to ferment with "as is".

Some places preserve with sodium benzoate, which is a complete PITA, as it's hard to remove/minimise enough for fermentation, though the juice is fine for back sweetening or flavouring.

Pectolase/pectic enzyme, not only helps with pectins (which is another option for the cloudiness in your batch) but anecdotally it also helps with flavour and colour extraction.

Apples go brown naturally through oxidation, pressing the apples then allowing the oxidation naturally is one of the techniques associated with Normandy Cider (though I understand it also tends to be lower in alcohol generally than the ciders here).

Either way, it's less of a problem as this sort of issue is generally easily sorted out......
Fatbloke,

You make some great points, when I purchased this cider I made sure it had nothing added to it (at least according to the label) but as you can see from the picture posted the settled apple bits are still light in color and not darkened. That is surprising because as you said it seems they should have darkened from oxidation, so not sure why they would be light still ( maybe it fermented fast and the alcohol preserved it, hahaha).

I did initially strain part of the first gallon with cheesecloth and ended up with what looked to be a couple tablespoons of applesauce. I decided not to strain more thinking I may be removing flavor so there is a good amount of apple bits and mush in it so it will likely be a long time before it clears. I will be patient though now that everyone has advised that it will eventually clear.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
centworthy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just racked this batch and man has it cleared a lot. Tons of sediment on the bottom this time. I added more pectin enzyme and that seemed to do the trick. It tasted quite cinnamony I may have over done the spice on this batch. Not sure if aging will forgive that mistake though

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply