Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Using fruit preserves in mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Philistine
I AM TALLER THAN YOU
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Using fruit preserves in mead?

I'm wanting to make a lingonberry melomel, but whole lingonberries are near impossible to find (I have found one seller, but the cost w/shipping may be prohibitive). Can I use preserves to make a melomel? I'm guessing the added sugars in the preserve will have to be taken into account.

Tupelo Cyser
Bottled:
Placer Gold (Honey Wheat Beer)
Drinking:
Brandon O's Graff (subbed 60L for equal parts 120L and Honey Malt)
Hard Rock Miner (Dry Hard Cider)
Steam Powered (Cali Common)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
StoneArcher
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 131

I personally think that you will have a hard time if not a bad time with preserves. If not for the actual preservatives in the mix, it would be the pectin.

Well, let me back up and ask what kind of preserves are you seeking to use? Like a jam? If so, see my initial response. It would be handy to see a list or a picture of the ingredients.

I can't remember exactly what to avoid off the top of my head, but I know someone will chime in with the names.

You see, in jams you add pectin to get it to jelly (or jam) up. In wine and mead we want to break down any pectin with enzymes and other cell lysis processes, like freeze-thawing cycles. You essentially want to extract any juice for fermentation, where the jam wants to coagulate it up for spreading on bread.

If the fruit is just canned, it may be fine as is. It really depends on what the preserving process is. Or more importantly the ingredients used in the process.

I probably got a little more long winded than you were wanting. But, maybe it will shed some light on if it is or is not a good idea for the preserves you were contemplating using.

If you are really hard up for some of the lingonberries and it is your only source. Perhaps a small experiment would be in order? Cram in a bunch of pectic enzyme into the jar, see what happens! Observe. What's the worst? You will have to toss the jar out?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
StoneArcher
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Oh yeah. I forgot to add the most important part! Let me know what you find out! Lingonberry melomel sounds absolutely amazing.

Super pricey:
http://www.nwwildfoods.com/wild-berr...nberries-p147/

Maybe #2b or #29?:
http://norslandlefse.com/lingonberry.html

Great... Stuck at work and I am now absolutely starving for crepes! Thanks!

Keep me in the loop as to where you end up going to get some. I am now wanting to give'r a whirl.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you looked up jam and jelly based wine recipes, there's no reason why you can't just use the method, technique and ingredients, just sub the sugar for honey, the jam/jelly of your choice and make sure you check the predominant fruit acid in the flavour you choose so that any acid additions are sympathetic to the fruit.....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Philistine
I AM TALLER THAN YOU
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneArcher View Post
I personally think that you will have a hard time if not a bad time with preserves. If not for the actual preservatives in the mix, it would be the pectin.

Well, let me back up and ask what kind of preserves are you seeking to use? Like a jam? If so, see my initial response. It would be handy to see a list or a picture of the ingredients.
Yes the pectin. I'm doubtful that peptic enzyme can deal with a preserve (which is made on the use of pectin).

What I was considering was some Lingonberry Preserves I've bought from Amazon in the past. The ingredient list is: Wild Lingonberries, Sugar, Pectin, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate.

Now that I look at the ingredient list I see potassium sorbate which is a nono for yeast.

The lingonberries I'm considering are IQF (Individually Quick Frozen) from Olsen Fish Co. But I have yet to call them to inquire about shipping.
Tupelo Cyser
Bottled:
Drinking:

Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Philistine
I AM TALLER THAN YOU
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
If you looked up jam and jelly based wine recipes, there's no reason why you can't just use the method, technique and ingredients, just sub the sugar for honey, the jam/jelly of your choice and make sure you check the predominant fruit acid in the flavour you choose so that any acid additions are sympathetic to the fruit.....
I'll have to research that. I did not know you could make wine with jam and jellies.
Tupelo Cyser
Bottled:
Drinking:

Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have done a strawberry jam mead. It cleared perfectly. I just used finnings and pectolase, then left it a week or so. I have also added some black current jam to a wine and that cleared perfectly, too. I intend to make an all jam wine soon, too. So what I am saying is, it is possible.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Mathew View Post
I have done a strawberry jam mead. It cleared perfectly. I just used finnings and pectolase, then left it a week or so. I have also added some black current jam to a wine and that cleared perfectly, too. I intend to make an all jam wine soon, too. So what I am saying is, it is possible.
Well done, my point exactly. Just that if you used a commercially made jam or jelly you would have to check the ingredients for any preservatives that yeast don't like, like potassium sorbate.....

Sometimes you see various sulphites that might be manually dissipated with a lot of stirring once it's at the watered down stage, or they might have just used ascorbic acid - which is fine. Yeast don't care how much vitamin C is in the must, as longs as it doesn't make the brew too acidic/pH too low.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke
Well done, my point exactly. Just that if you used a commercially made jam or jelly you would have to check the ingredients for any preservatives that yeast don't like, like potassium sorbate..... Sometimes you see various sulphites that might be manually dissipated with a lot of stirring once it's at the watered down stage, or they might have just used ascorbic acid - which is fine. Yeast don't care how much vitamin C is in the must, as longs as it doesn't make the brew too acidic/pH too low.......
Well, I didn't really care about what was in it, as it was mostly for colour towards the end of the brew. So I just melted it down in a little warm water, then added.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I did a strawberry Jam mead before and it was solely pointed at all the flavor focused on the Jam. Here is a link to the thread I started.

strawberry jam mead

Breaking down the pectin is difficult it seems but as long as you use decent pectic enzyme the issue is less of a haze and more that you have a TON of sediment. I have even played with some products that use sorbate as a preservative and if the only Jam you can find has some do not fret. Lots of care to the must, lots of O2 introduced and a big yeast starter of good strong yeast strain can ferment those Jams.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Quick Reply