Using brochet in a beer--help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
I have celiac disease so I brew gluten free beer. I'm always looking for ways to impart flavor into the beer. This weekend I'm going to brew a "Carrot cake" beer and for one of my main fermentables I'm using honey. This is where the mead forum comes in...I was wondering what type of flavors would it impart if I boiled (burnt) the honey prior to adding it to the wort? I was thinking I could boil 2lbs of honey on Saturday, put it in a mason jar, and then on Sunday or Monday when I brew add it to the beer.

Thoughts?

Flavors depend on the length & intensity of boil it seems like. My latest "Bochet" had more of a caramel overtone and the "burnt" part faded away after only 2 1/2 months of ageing. My honey was cooked on a gas stove on the lowest setting for about 1.75 hours. There was no visible carbon in my honey when done but the must was almost black when first mixed. If you cranked the heat a little and went a full 2 hours, right about when carbon starts to form most people say it tastes like burnt marshmallow. For a beer I would think the caramel tones would be better but do what you think would be better.

I would also add that boiling the honey to use later will only make much more work for yourself. I say this becaus the boiling drives off what moisture there is in the honey and it will thicken and become quite hard after boiling. This will prove very difficult to remove from the jar.

This. Boiled honey sets like boiled sweets. You would want to add back in the water before it sets, though careful, if you do it when its too hot it spits everywhere which is pretty dangerous.

Back