Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Unexpected yeast nutrient reaction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
JamesClark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Unexpected yeast nutrient reaction

I've got a traditional mead in primary, and earlier tonight it was time to add the first bit of nutrient/energizer. I popped off the airlock and dumped in the energizer and then the yeast nutrient (1 tsp of "Fermax"). To my surprise as soon as the nutrient touched the surface, it started fizzing and sizzling, as if I had just dumped some baking soda into some vinegar! Is that normal? What kind of reaction is taking place in there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark View Post
I've got a traditional mead in primary, and earlier tonight it was time to add the first bit of nutrient/energizer. I popped off the airlock and dumped in the energizer and then the yeast nutrient (1 tsp of "Fermax"). To my surprise as soon as the nutrient touched the surface, it started fizzing and sizzling, as if I had just dumped some baking soda into some vinegar! Is that normal? What kind of reaction is taking place in there?
Yes, it happens all the time. (Google "nucleation points" for a scientific explanation). What I'd do next time, is use a wine thief and take out a sample of mead into a sanitized container. Stir nutrients into that, and then gently pour it into the mead. That will definitely help!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

It's normal-- the yeast nutrient is causing the CO2 in the mead to come out of solution. It's not a chemical reaction, just physical in that the nutrient is providing nucleation points for the CO2.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
JamesClark
Recipes 

Ah, thanks. I wasn't expecting it to have that much CO2 in there, but that explanation makes sense.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
talenos
Recipes 

Yep, it was a surprise the first time I saw it too.

Quick Reply