Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Troublesome ferment with costco honey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
Dl_Pfc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, looks like I found out what the problem was. Apparently when I got yeast nutrient and energizer from my LHBS a while back they were both brownish-tan little baggies that looked very similar, and I'm suspecting that they might have both been energizer. Yesterday I went to a different homebrew store and got their version of yeast nutrient which is apparently urea and diammonium phosphate and has the appearance of white crystals. I added 3 tsp of it to my mead and as of today it started going crazy fast. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #22
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Well, looks like I found out what the problem was. Apparently when I got yeast nutrient and energizer from my LHBS a while back they were both brownish-tan little baggies that looked very similar, and I'm suspecting that they might have both been energizer. Yesterday I went to a different homebrew store and got their version of yeast nutrient which is apparently urea and diammonium phosphate and has the appearance of white crystals. I added 3 tsp of it to my mead and as of today it started going crazy fast. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
I followed suit, I added 2.5 tsp of the same yeast nutrient and gave it a vigorous stir. After almost 24 hours it's back to about a bubble every 3 seconds...same as it was before.

It's been fermenting like this for about 3 weeks now...

Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #23
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well gents I figured I'd give an update.

Over the past three or 4 days the fermentation has tapered from a bubble every 4 seconds to a bubble every 20. There was a sizable yeast bed developed on the bottom of the carboy so I decided to rack it into another for secondary fermentation.

I tested the gravity and it was spot on 1.000, I know the Vinometer is regarded by most to be a useless piece of junk but I tested it anyway and it came in at 16%.

I decided to give it a taste...never having made mead before I really don't know what I'm looking for.

Anyway. It still looks cloudy, smells sweet honey like and alcoholic. It has a heavier mouth feel than expected, a slight sweetness with a mild honey flavor. But after you swallow it feels like a mouth full of white lightning. There is an aggressive alcoholic taste that leaves a warmth in your mouth and a lightness in your head.

To recap I used the following:

13.2 Pounds of honey topped up to the 5 Gallon mark on my carboy, EC1118 hydrated slightly and pitched with a teaspoon of energizer.

I'm hoping like wine the harshness will mellow out with some ageing. I'm going to move it to a cool corner in my basement and bulk age until it clears up. But all in all I don't think this will end up going in the toilet like previous experiments.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #24
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Make sure you rack it to a clean carboy and I'm glad to hear it is progressing! One thing I don't care for is when people buy bulk products and repackage them with crappy labeling and especially incorrect labeling. I guess we either trust them or pay more for a truly packaged brand.

I started a costco mead on Dec 17 and today it is at 1.000 and is ready to rack so I'm thankful this wasn't an issue for me. I used 18lbs with 6lbs of sweet cherries for a 6 gallon batch. It tasted great but still a little hot so some aging should yield a decent batch. BTW I found Orange Blossom Honey on Ebay for$79.00 in a 30 lb pail from Smitty_Bee. It comes with a usda quality sticker of inspection and you also get to re use the 5 gallon bucket when you are done. It was semi crystalized but it sure was easy to scoop out with a big metal spoon and weigh as I made my must. I think I will used them more often in the future but like most people I figured I would try this costco stuff at least once.
Here's a link http://www.ebay.com/sch/smitty_bee/m...84.m1439.l2654

Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #25
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeavk View Post
Make sure you rack it to a clean carboy and I'm glad to hear it is progressing! One thing I don't care for is when people buy bulk products and repackage them with crappy labeling and especially incorrect labeling. I guess we either trust them or pay more for a truly packaged brand.

I started a costco mead on Dec 17 and today it is at 1.000 and is ready to rack so I'm thankful this wasn't an issue for me. I used 18lbs with 6lbs of sweet cherries for a 6 gallon batch. It tasted great but still a little hot so some aging should yield a decent batch. BTW I found Orange Blossom Honey on Ebay for$79.00 in a 30 lb pail from Smitty_Bee. It comes with a usda quality sticker of inspection and you also get to re use the 5 gallon bucket when you are done. It was semi crystalized but it sure was easy to scoop out with a big metal spoon and weigh as I made my must. I think I will used them more often in the future but like most people I figured I would try this costco stuff at least once.
Here's a link http://www.ebay.com/sch/smitty_bee/m...84.m1439.l2654

They put 2.5 gallons of honey into a 5 gallon bucket?? Seems a bit odd to me...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #26
Bigbeavk
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Yes they fill it half way so you get a 5 gallon food grade bucket with an o ring lid. Maybe it's easier for the UPS guy I guess.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #27
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 557 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillhousesawdustco View Post
You're in the middle of California's Great Valley, AKA the Beekeeping Center of the (almond-dominated) Universe! Gotta be some honey around. If you want Montana honey or just want to make sure my niece gets every christmas present she asked for try out glaciercountyhoney.com 12 or 35 lb buckets
Yes! I live right next to almond orchards and discovered past two apiaries today taking a short cut to the highway. Have been thinking about mead. This is great news for me.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
Mikeymu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was under the impression that the ph is best kept at 3.4 - 3.5. I had a must that was very slow to start - the ph was abut 4.5. I added some orange and some lemon juice to bring it down to between 3 and 4 and then it got going. Took ten days to go from 1.08 to 1.005, including step feeding with more honey along the way.

Quick Reply