Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Tried my first mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
EndlessPurple
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good luck with your first batch. I find I don't like most commercial meads. I wonder if some of them do more harm than good for the mead industry with the poor product they put out. When I do find a good one, it is really good stuff. A meadery in Colorado has some that I really liked but hard to get in Texas.

My very first batch turned out better than many of the commercial ones at least for my taste (and the friend who helped me polish off the first bottle).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 21

YOu could also try adding just a little pinch of acid blend to see if the lack of acidity is making it bland. Most commercial meads we tasted are bland and light in honey, you can make very good stuff on your own, what is hard about aging - you dont have to do anything but wait? WVMJ

Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
JezzaUK
Recipes 

First things first, I would suggest starting off with a relatively small batch - as a tester.

I remember my first batch, it was very hot, minimal sweetness as it fermented dry, wouldn't clear properly and had a yeasty flavour to it. Friends joked and laughed and suggested that I never try it again - despite getting it for free.

Bottles put in the back of a cupboard somewhere and forgotten about... Then about 18 months later, drunken BBQ, the mead gets brought up and we decide to give it another go - as you do. What a change!

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the finest thing I've ever made - but it was certainly more than palatable.

Moral of the story is, even if it doesn't turn out well at the start - don't give up on it. Put the bottles away and forget about it for as long as possible.

My 2nd batch of mead (actually a pear melomel) got left in the primary for far, far too long, and I really had little hope for it. Eventually bottled it - poured over 1/2 vanilla pod per litre, and about 9 months later it turned out absolutely cracking. Pear carries a good portion of unfermentable sugars - so after a bit of calculating, I used almost enough honey to ferment the yeast to it's point of no return (about 14%), so was left with a little of the natural sweetness of the pear juice.

It will take a long time to get the best out of the mead. What people say regarding the longer you leave it, the better it is really is true. No idea what the science is behind it, but would suggest knocking up a batch now - then you should have something quite pleasant to enjoy by Chrimstmas.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsmith View Post
I'm looking for some advice. I know that many beer brewers here also make mead. I tried mead for the first time, and I wasn't all that impressed. I drink beer, wine(red and white), and some liquor too, and appreciate them all...but the mead just seemed a bit..bland. The mead I tried was "Hidden Legend Pure Honey Mead" (12.5% abv) for around $14 a bottle. Is this a good mead? I'm interested in trying some decent, inexpensive mead to give it another try. Any suggestions?
don't be dissuaded by commerical mead. i tasted one years ago, an $18.00 bottle and it was bland. i guess the companies ramp production up for profit and the mead is chemically matured in 90 days. also they may not use the best grade honey in order to stay price competitive.

decide what style you want to vint, and go for it...you will be amazed at the complex aromas and taste. just have patience, mead sometimes takes a while to finish.
good luck
GD

Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1584 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

I made a pear JAOM recently... its in my top 5 favorite mels I have ever made. I disagree with a lot of the purists (though I respect the opinion) that only citrus fruits work well in JAOM. I find that all "white" fruits come out lovely!

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #16
On-target
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have never liked any commercial meads much. THats why I started making my own. Mead is all about patients and a good recipe. Its not very expensive either, I just bought the ingredients to make 10 gallons of mead for about $100

Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #17
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-target View Post
I have never liked any commercial meads much. THats why I started making my own. Mead is all about patients and a good recipe. Its not very expensive either, I just bought the ingredients to make 10 gallons of mead for about $100
When I read that, at first I said "YIKES!"...but I suppose given it's strength that it is more like a sipping wine, which then isn't so bad price wise.

"what is hard about aging - you dont have to do anything but wait? WVMJ "

To quote Tom Petty, 'the waiting is the hardest part'. I've never made anything that required waiting so long (except for a weizenbock that I finished way too early IMO). I'm getting better though...have my first non-california lager lagering in the fridge, with a note saying "Don't bottle until feb. 11th!".

Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #18
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Also, how do you guys enjoy your mead? I've heard you can drink it chilled, slightly chilled, room temp, warm(?). Does anyone carbonate it or would that just ruin it?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #19
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Mmmm carbed Mead...I dnt make it much and mostly call it my honey beer or ale...(tho no hops or malt..just use beer and ale yeast )done in about 6 months around 7-8 abv. Disappears to fast lol

Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #20
fastfocus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

I have read lots on here about meads. But had never tried one. I just happened to drive by here and had to stop. I was not expecting to much after reading about commercial meads. The owner was more then happy to let me sample their product in early Dec. I brought a couple bottles home that day. Very nice flavor in the dry mead.
http://www.honeyrunwinery.com/scripts/winePg.cfm?wn=5
If home made is better. Then i need to meet some bee keepers

Quick Reply