Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Mead Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/)
-   -   Tried my first mead (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/tried-my-first-mead-382180/)

dbsmith 01-17-2013 07:29 AM

Tried my first mead
 
I'm looking for some advice. I know that many beer brewers here also make mead. I tried mead for the first time, and I wasn't all that impressed. I drink beer, wine(red and white), and some liquor too, and appreciate them all...but the mead just seemed a bit..bland. The mead I tried was "Hidden Legend Pure Honey Mead" (12.5% abv) for around $14 a bottle. Is this a good mead? I'm interested in trying some decent, inexpensive mead to give it another try. Any suggestions?

Obliviousbrew 01-17-2013 07:34 AM

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/shou...ebacle-362191/

:D

45_70sharps 01-17-2013 07:40 AM

I've never had commercial mead but I can tell you there's a lot of styles of mead.

How dry it is is a key in the sweetness obviously. The honey used can make a big difference also and just like beer the yeast can make a huge difference.
I haven't made any yet, but in my reading the fermentation temperatures can make a bigger difference than a lot of guys give credit for.
The commercial meet you had could be something that would have benefited from a little more aging then they were willing to invest in.

Now that I think about it I have had one commercial mead.
I had some at a rogue brew pub and it tasted like apple cider.
My theory was that what the cost of honey they cut it with cider to produce a cheaper mead.

I want to make some but I think the first batch I make at least will be a commercial kit and it would be a sweet mead.

My very favorite mead is a sweet mead that somebody else made.
Did I mention it's expensive to make?

dbsmith 01-17-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew (Post 4794549)

Lol...
"Edit: Okra- Good Lord Fail"

dbsmith 01-17-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45_70sharps (Post 4794553)
I've never had commercial mead but I can tell you there's a lot of styles of mead.

How dry it is is a key in the sweetness obviously. The honey used can make a big difference also and just like beer the yeast can make a huge difference.
I haven't made any yet, but in my reading the fermentation temperatures can make a bigger difference than a lot of guys give credit for.
The commercial meet you had could be something that would have benefited from a little more aging then they were willing to invest in.

Now that I think about it I have had one commercial mead.
I had some at a rogue brew pub and it tasted like apple cider.
My theory was that what the cost of honey they cut it with cider to produce a cheaper mead.

I want to make some but I think the first batch I make at least will be a commercial kit and it would be a sweet mead.

My very favorite mead is a sweet mead that somebody else made.
Did I mention it's expensive to make?

I've considered trying to make it but I haven't mainly because:
a) I don't know what good mead is supposed to taste like.
and b) The yeast situation (lack of nutrients) and aging seems a bit intimidating..not to mention good honey isn't the cheapest ingredient out there.

45_70sharps 01-17-2013 08:02 AM

I know my brother gets kits cheaper than he can buy that much quality honey.

I think he just got another kit from northern brewer.

They give pretty good descriptions of the mead.
It sounds to me like you would want a sweet mead with good honey flavor still detectable.
That's what I want to make.

rowsdower44 01-17-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbsmith (Post 4794563)
I've considered trying to make it but I haven't mainly because:
a) I don't know what good mead is supposed to taste like.
and b) The yeast situation (lack of nutrients) and aging seems a bit intimidating..not to mention good honey isn't the cheapest ingredient out there.

If you want to know what good mead tastes like, the best way to do it is make it yourself! :D I'm not saying you're an expert mazer or a prodigy with hidden talent, but if you follow the instructions to a simple recipe, I would hope it will answer your questions on the taste of mead.

Since you already brew beer (which I'm guessing you do after looking at your profile), then you should have most of the equipment to make a mead (carboy, airlock, siphoning/bottling). I'd suggest making Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. It should only set you back around $20-$30 for ingredients. I wouldn't worry about getting 'good' honey. Grocery store or Sam's Club honey will do. The yeast is easy to manage and it's 2 months aging is not much compared to higher-end meads.

Bluespark 01-17-2013 02:10 PM

I've had some good meads and some aweful ones. That's why I decided to make it my self. The last mead I bought tasted like a watered down white wine, and that was at $24 a bottle.

dbsmith 01-17-2013 04:49 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'm going to try that mead recipe. Coincidentally, I have some Lalvin k1-v116 yeast laying around with nothing to use it for anyway.

rowsdower44 01-17-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbsmith (Post 4795721)
Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'm going to try that mead recipe. Coincidentally, I have some Lalvin k1-v116 yeast laying around with nothing to use it for anyway.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :mug:


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.