Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > trader joe's mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
ArizonaDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I wanted to try a commercial mead so I checked out my local World Market. I couldn't find any on the shelf so I asked an employee. He went in the back to ask the Liquor manager and she said she could take my name and number and would order some for me and call me when it was in.

I thought "yeah, right. they won't ever call". a week later she calls me up and tells me my mead is in. I head in there and pick up a bottle of Chaucers mead, reg price $11.99, on sale for $5.99!! nice! I haven't tried it yet since, funnily enough, my wife is preggers too and I wanted to sure it with her. But the little guy will be out soon enough and we'll give it a shot. Can't wait!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

I checked my Trader Joe's yesterday and they don't carry wine or mead, only beer. Sucks!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #13
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
$12 for mead, even if it is just decent, is a REALLY good price. I'm going to have to check my Trader Joe's now to see if they have it!
Really? I feel fortunate then. Here in Indiana, we can get mead from Oliver Winery for about $6 a bottle. Haven't seen their straight mead in a while, but they have half a dozen fruit flavors (black cherry, strawberry, watermelon, passion fruit, mango, and one other that I don't recall right now).

Old 02-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #14
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Mead isn't common around here unfortunately. There is a great meadery in Upstate NY, but its liked 4 hours from me and doesn't distribute. Thankfully it's near my hunting grounds so I get their stuff a few times a year.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
delvorak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaDB View Post
I wanted to try a commercial mead so I checked out my local World Market. I couldn't find any on the shelf so I asked an employee. He went in the back to ask the Liquor manager and she said she could take my name and number and would order some for me and call me when it was in.

I thought "yeah, right. they won't ever call". a week later she calls me up and tells me my mead is in. I head in there and pick up a bottle of Chaucers mead, reg price $11.99, on sale for $5.99!! nice! I haven't tried it yet since, funnily enough, my wife is preggers too and I wanted to sure it with her. But the little guy will be out soon enough and we'll give it a shot. Can't wait!
I hope you enjoy the Chaucers... My experience has been it's sulfited to death and tastes/smells like rotten eggs. Definitely not my cup of tea (or mead, as it were)

Scott

Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Chaucers I've had was better than the Redstone I've had.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #17
ArizonaDB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvorak View Post
I hope you enjoy the Chaucers... My experience has been it's sulfited to death and tastes/smells like rotten eggs. Definitely not my cup of tea (or mead, as it were)

Scott
Yeah, by the time I got the Chaucers, I had read some not-so-favorable reviews on here by people who had tried it. But if it's all I can get, I'll give it a shot. I'll report back with my experience.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Indie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Mead isn't common around here unfortunately. There is a great meadery in Upstate NY, but its liked 4 hours from me and m doesn't distribute. Thankfully it's near my hunting grounds so I get their stuff a few times a year.
Are you talking about Earl Estates? I went there the last time I was in the area. I tried a bunch and left with 4 different kinds. They were all excellent!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

I don't know the name, but I don't think that's the one. I wish I knew about that one last year though when I was touring wineries in that area! The one I'm referring to is somewhere between Ithaca and Sydney.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1599 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2626

Congrats on the new peanut, Airborne. I know its a bit of a schlep, but you might want to call the Trader Joes in the Union Square area, they might be able to send it to the other TJ or... something.

As for Chaucers, my future m-i-l was very sweet and got me a bottle. Capers. First thing I got was this giant nose of capers. Capers don't smell as strong of capers. Ghastly. I gave it a sip and it was actually ok, though a bit sweet to my taste. I even let it sit out in the air for a while... but that big punch of capers was just too much. Dont tell my m-i-l... I wound up actually tossing it in the sink...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Quick Reply