Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Top off the secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
jpuf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Top off the secondary?

Wadaya think? Should I top off the secondary to try and stave off the negative effects of too much head space? Or Would I be putting the batch in harms way. I would of course use boiled/cooled water.

Thanks,

John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4475 Times on 3256 Posts
Likes Given: 870

You should top off- but what are you making? If it's wine, you can top off with a similar type of commercial wine, so you don't water down your wine. For example, for my dandelion wine, I topped off with a little pinot grigio.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuf
Should I top off the secondary to try and stave off the negative effects of too much head space? Or Would I be putting the batch in harms way. I would of course use boiled/cooled water
It really depends on how long you intend to store the mead (and what type it is - ABV, Style etc) in secondary and how much head space you have. Any more clues?

Old 02-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
You should top off- but what are you making? If it's wine, you can top off with a similar type of commercial wine, so you don't water down your wine. For example, for my dandelion wine, I topped off with a little pinot grigio.
What would you use to top off apple wine? I've been thinking about this and I don't mind watering it down a little but I think too much would ruin it.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4475 Times on 3256 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Do you have any commerical white wine? You could top off with just about any of those. Or, you could do my "marble trick" that's been kind of disparaged around here. I sanitize kid's glass marbles, and use them in the wine to raise the level of the wine. That way, the headspace is reduced, and I don't have to top off.

In fact, I have to top off my apple wine today- some friends came over last night to drink beer, and we had a sample of my wine first. They really liked it, and already asked for the recipe.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
jpuf
Recipes 

This is a simple semi sweet mead. 15# honey, nutrients, water and yeast. I intend to leave it in the secondary 4 - 6 months before carbonating and bottling. I've been brewing beer for 6 or 7 years, but this is my first crack at mead. I pitched the yeast (wyeast 4632) on 1/21. As of this morning, a steady one bubble per second. I did oxygenate before pitching, looks like it paid off. Any advise on how to carbonate down the road? Corn sugar? Honey? Will I need addl. yeast?
Thanks, you folks are the best.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
Do you have any commerical white wine? You could top off with just about any of those. Or, you could do my "marble trick" that's been kind of disparaged around here. I sanitize kid's glass marbles, and use them in the wine to raise the level of the wine. That way, the headspace is reduced, and I don't have to top off.

In fact, I have to top off my apple wine today- some friends came over last night to drink beer, and we had a sample of my wine first. They really liked it, and already asked for the recipe.
I might go buy a white wine. I could use the bottle any way.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've topped with a pound or so of honey dissolved in water, lends to honey flavor and might even bump up your abv a tad.

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Quick Reply