Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Too late to spice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Heyyyo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too late to spice?

So, I've been planning on making a spiced mead for the holidays but, what with school and whatnot I never got around to starting a new batch. I do, however, have two 5-gallon batches of mead (one's wildflower, one's clover) that are almost ready to be bottled. I was curious, is it too late to spice one of these and let it go for another month or two? Will I wind up with a sub par product by doing it this way?

Also, does anyone know if a different honey makes a better spiced mead? Does it even matter?

Thanks..

-Heyyyo

"Homer no function beer well without." -Homer Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I wouldn't think it would be too late to add spices. Be sure and try it periodically to prevent the mead from being overwhelmed by the spices.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
Torg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A mead, brewed with spices is called a metheglin. A mead that has had spices added afterwards is called a mulled mead. Both are quite good, and both taste somewhat different. If you are making it for winter a mulled mead not only is very appropriate but also very traditional. It is also done as certain spices do not hold up well to brewing.

In any case try it and see. I am sure you will be presently surprised. Just remember a little goes a long way. Try adding Allspice, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg, Citrus Rind or Mace.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Heyyyo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the help.. I've got my fingers crossed!

"Homer no function beer well without." -Homer Simpson

Quick Reply