Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Today I racked and bottled and

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
mmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Must I refrigerate after racking?

It's a gallon of Joes Ancient clear 14.4% ABV and God it smells good! I racked straight into screw cap bottles. Need to know if it's ok to store the bottles at room temp? Will there be further fermentation to consider after racking? Risk of Explosion? Should I refrigerate a few days to lay the yeast dormant? What is the usual closing chapter after fermentation has virtually ceased?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Bugeaud
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After noticeable fermentation has ceased, it is recommended you wait at least 2 weeks before bottling, and closely watch your mead during this time as there is a considerable chance of a fermentation starting up again for a short amount of time, which may result in bottle bombs and the such. It is also recommended that you wait for your mead to clear before bottling (Hence racking onto secondary and what not, but that's a different matter). That said, if you don't mind going a bit scientific with your ancient mead.. you could sorbate if your real worried.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply