Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > thoughts on pyment (mead/grape)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
ctwtp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default thoughts on pyment (mead/grape)

I'm attempting another pyment sortly but has any got suggestions on whether a dry/medium/sweet is best?
Would love all input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is such a personal choice because if you do not like off dry wines/meads you may not enjoy an off dry mead. That being said I find that most fruit based wines/meads, including pyment, are much better when finished in a style other than dry. The sugar, whether it be residual or backsweetened, tends to bring other characteristics forward that you would not typically notice if the product is simply served dry. If you are unsure simply allow the pyment to ferment to dry and bottle some dry/medium/sweet & decide for yourself. Just remember what you end up liking with that pyment can change as you use a different type of grape and/or make a different type of mead. Just my 2 cents worth.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The 18 gallons of fresh grape pyment I did last year, which is currently clearing and ageing tastes rather like a heavy red wine with residual sugars/honey notes.

I'm quite pleased with it, but the wine buffs would probably say it's a waste of good grapes (Syrah, Merlot and Tempranillo). I don't think it would taste "right" if it was dry as there'd still be honey notes evident (I suspect) but with no residual sweetness it'd be lacking something.....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 01-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I am also very interested in this, taking viticulture classes and all. Various table grape varieties would do well in my opinion in a sweet pyment. Syrah for example as a wine grape ripens pretty early and may do well in a light crush barely sweet pyment. Where I get stuck on this is whether or not to ferment the honey with the grapes at the desired specifications or to ferment a semi/sweet mead and blend with your wine to desired specifications...

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
ctwtp
Recipes 

Thanks people, gave me the pointers i needed. Have decided to go for just a straight medium enough people around here like that so of i don't I've got some ready made gifts!
Must confess though that i hadn't even considered different types of grape, i was just gonna go for a 100% grape juice from my local shop

Quick Reply