I'm not looking for help (but maybe I should be), I am just sharing an amusing story about how stupid I can be.
So my strawberry rhubarb mead, what I am calling my summer pie mead, is coming along great. Yesterday I racked off the lees, remove the rhubarb that has fallen, then I planned to rerack ontop of some more strawberries. I syphoned into my primary with some campden tablet to prevent oxydation, then removed the rhubarb and cleaned my carboy. However I couldn't find my grain bag. So I decided to imprivise.
I got a peice of cheese cloth and I dumped the strawberries in. I tied everything up quite nicely and I even took a moment to be impressed with how great my improvised grain bag looked.
I was ready to put everything into my carboy when I saw a potential setback. I now had a grain bag of strawberries a little smaller then a soccer ball, and an opening smaller then a golfball...
Well thankfully with a little more looking I got a grain bag and problem solved. But I thought you could all do with a laugh, so I am sharing!
Yep, this is why I wont do a melomel out of a glass carboy. I go with a brew bucket so that I can handel this. Ofcourse, I puree my strawberries with a bit of pectin enzyme and then put in a mesh bag. But I find that the extra space in a brew bucket is needed.
12 lbs. Clover honey
½ cup of raisins
~4 Gallons water (fill to 5 gallon level)
1 pack of D47, 71B, or Montratchet wine yeast (still deciding)
12 lbs. of frozen strawberries (Juiced, if possible)
3 lbs. of rhubarb
2 Vanilla Beans
Zest from one lemon
1 teaspoon of Thyme
I have been adding a bit of fruit at a time in the secondary. 12 lbs of strawberries plus 3 lbs of rhubarb take up a lot of space and I don't want to lose too much mead. I have added 8 lbs of strawberries and 3 lbs of rhubarb so far. I still want to add the other 4 lbs of strawberries.