Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Is there a commerical mead company?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 05:05 AM   #11
thorgrimnr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

For some brilliant but overseas mead you could try :

http://www.mjod.dk/uk/default.asp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2005, 06:36 AM   #12
seven77
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
There are several commercial ones, but most of them suck really bad and make sickening sweet mead. I think that's because people hear honey and expect sweet, not realizing that all fermented beverages start out sweet.
yick!! I know what you mean now Janx! I broke down and purchased that $14 bottle of mead at the store the other day. It was so sweet I had to choke it down, thankfully one of my drinking buddies was there and choked down the other half(literally... we were laughing at each others facial expressions after taking a drink... lol!!). It tasted like 10lbs of sugar dissolved in 6oz of kerosene. It did have a pleasant aftertaste, however--much like a flower-garden smells.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #13
Ramp
Recipes 

The problem with most commercial meads is that they are back sweetened after fermentation is complete, so you get an "in your face" experience, like Chauser's. Also, they are not aged long enough to smooth out the edges, or allow the meads to really show what they can become. To make a mead that you are really going to like, chances are you are going to have to make it yourself.

That being said, there are many truely terrific meaderies out there. You just have to look hard for them. Check with local apiaries, or on your states home website, or just Google it. If you find a place that makes good quality mead, all the searching is worth it.

~Cheers!

Old 05-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #14
kilroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well - Only Living 20 Miles away from a VERY FINE meadery

http://www.rocky-mountain-meadery.com/

I can tell you after tasting their goods, they are very good.

here is a small sampling from their website:

Quote:
King Arthur (dry) Aged in oak, King Arthur is an excellent accent to fish, poultry, and wild game.

Lancelot (medium dry) Lancelot is especially good with chicken, turkey, and seafood.

Guinevere (semi-sweet) Guinevere enhances cheese, fruit, stir-fry or spicy dishes.

Camelot (sweet) A dessert wine, Camelot can be served by itself or as an accompaniment to desserts. During the winter months, warm up with a glass of hot spiced Camelot wine.
I would very highly suggest that you check these guys out.

Andrew

Old 07-07-2005, 04:42 AM   #15
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Several years ago, I saw the Bennegans was selling some brand of mead so I bought a bottle. It was reasonably priced, probably $3-$4. I remember it being a bit sweet and a bit sour. It wasn't so awesome that I devoted my life towards it. I would like to make the prickly pear mead that's in the Home Brewers Companion. He said he lets his age for 2 years.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:06 AM   #16
SpinDance
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm surprised you could find Camelot Mead outside Indiana. Last I knew IN didn't permit export. I'm in SW Ohio and know some folks in Indiana, so I can get some now and again. It's the driest I've found commercially, although I haven't tried very many. The others I've tried are, as said above, very, very sweet.

There is an incredible store in the Cincinnati, Ohio area called Jungle Jim's. They have about everything one can think of, much of it imported from all over the world. They have a very large selection of wines, beers, ciders and mead. If you ever get a chance to stop by there, do! They have a web site, I think, but I don't know about them sending by mail.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #17
Streethawk
Recipes 

I understand not wanting to try 5 gallons of something you might not like - so why not make a 1 gallon batch?! We are!

Primary: (Kits)- Pilsner & Zinfandel Blush.
(Home recipe)-Orange wine, Ginger ale & beer, basic mead
2ndry:
Conditioning: CJJ Berry's Apple Ale
Drinking: nothing :(
Stock: empty :(

Old 10-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #18
Windaria
Recipes 

Yes... that is what all those great 1 gallon carboys you get from making cider with expensive applejuice are for.

The only trick is that, if you are a beer brewer who hates waiting, you will kill yourself waiting for a mead. <smiles>

Old 12-28-2005, 04:31 AM   #19
rewster451

Recipes 

I have tried some meads, and like most of you, I found it too sweet. However, I really want to make one of my own. Is a straight mead good, or should I do more of a melomel, or whatever the blank you call it? I think I would really like it dryer than sweeter. That's the way I like my wine.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Old 12-28-2005, 06:03 AM   #20
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just use Champagne yeast and it'll ferment out dry and not on the sweet side.

With fruit it's a melomel.

Quick Reply