The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Are there any commercial meads?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
LightningInABottle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just picked up a bottle of Plum Melomel made by B Nektar. I got the last bottle and they only released 144 to stores (Plum Market.)

I agree with Fatbloke that most of the commercial meads are too cloying. With that being said I do like some of them. A list of the ones I like:

B Nektar- Wildberry Pyment (mix this 50/50 with some Faygo Rock+Rye soda if you like ultra foofy drinks!), Margarita Mead, Strawberry Pizzazz. I've been looking to try some Cherry Zombie Killer. I tend to like their more foofy meads rather than their straight mead varieties.

Kuhnhenn's Mead- I don't know if they distribute outside of Michigan

Red Stone- Expensive but a nice treat once and a while

Chaucer's Orange Blossom- @ $12 a bottle it is a good value compared to some of ones listed above. Not the greatest but "cleaner" than some of the OB meads from higher priced meaderys. I have a bottle that has been sitting for over a year and I wonder how improved the taste will be when I crack it open...

Drake Brother's Mead is on my list to try if I can find it in the store.

If you go to a liquor store or wine shop look for them by the ports and sherries.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #12
AudaciousAlechemist
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I saw that you can order online from them, they have 6 to choose from, I was thinking the orange blossom, but is there one you'd recommend?

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.” -Edgar Allen Poe

Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
AudaciousAlechemist
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningInABottle View Post
I just picked up a bottle of Plum Melomel made by B Nektar. I got the last bottle and they only released 144 to stores (Plum Market.)

I agree with Fatbloke that most of the commercial meads are too cloying. With that being said I do like some of them. A list of the ones I like:

B Nektar- Wildberry Pyment (mix this 50/50 with some Faygo Rock+Rye soda if you like ultra foofy drinks!), Margarita Mead, Strawberry Pizzazz. I've been looking to try some Cherry Zombie Killer. I tend to like their more foofy meads rather than their straight mead varieties.

Drake Brother's Mead is on my list to try if I can find it in the store.

If you go to a liquor store or wine shop look for them by the ports and sherries.
Thanks! But of the B Nektar suggestions sound good, I may order some..

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.” -Edgar Allen Poe

Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 AM   #14
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do order from BNektars. They have good stuff. And if you ever time it right, hit their tasting room on the first or third friday of each month.

My tastes changes from day to day, so sometimes I like their sweeter meads, and sometimes I like their dryer ones. I really like their dry cyser. I haven't gotten a chance to swing by and check out the Cherry Cyser though.

Somehow, I did like the margarita mead as well. I wasn't as impressed by the coffee mead for some reason, despite being from a place I like to buy coffee from when I'm in the area.

The wildberry mead is really good. It's like a soft red wine. The Vanilla Cinnamon one is good too, even if it's on the sweet side, it's not cloyingly sweet due to the cinnamon.

Chaucers was the one I commonly see but couldn't remember the name of.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

At least one of our members, Mustangj helps the folks at Bnektar on their bottling days. I guess you get a growler of mead for helping.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

So many choices if you can find the right outlet...

Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Also, if you're looking at trying various honey wines, don't neglect Ethiopian Tej. You can usually find 1-2 brands in any decent wine shop these days that has a world section.

It's a lot like mead, but usually there's a couple of subtle differences, like with some spicing or use of ingredients indigenous to the area.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

+1 on B. Nektar. I have been fortunate enough to try some of their stuff--yum. My old brew club, AABG, has a LOT of really good meaders (including Schramm, but he doesn't make too many of the meetings), and the B Nektar stuff is pretty respectable.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1512 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 52719

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
So many choices if you can find the right outlet...

Summer have you tried the Polish meads? I saw some Jadwiga at my local liquor store and was intrigued.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 07-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I can find Bunratty Mead here in Texas.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply