Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
thorsr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature

Hi guys,
as you know, I live in southern Brazil (São Paulo). I also live on a building, and I have very little room to brew and store. I can live with it though. My fear is the temperature issue. here we have winters with maximum 10oC and summers with 30oC. Of course inside this room of mine there is less temperature variation, which I´m not sure how much is yet.

So let´s say I store for some years there. Are the hot temperatures and variations going to ruin it?
Should I find a better place to store it? IS there any equipment that could help me without being too volumous and costy?
Finally, I have a small wine refrigerator, which holds a small amount of bottles. Is aging in the bottle worse then aging in the carboy/keg/...?

Primary- Redberry Melomel

Secondary-Clove and orange Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I recently read an article about wine storage where the guy had a few bottles that had been stored really badly, as far as convential wisdom goes - too hot, stuff like that.

He actually found that some wines do better with high temperatures, and suggested that there really isn't the same ideal storage temperature for everything, which makes some sense.

I don't remember where the article was anymore, but it was interesting.

The only way to really know for sure is to try. You're probably better off with someplace cooler/darker, maybe a closet?

I'd probably put a few in the wine refrigerator for long term storage, but anything I was going to drink within a year or two, I wouldn't worry about. Temp stability is really only an issue for long term aging.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

aging mead in the carboy might be your best bet. as it is in a larger volume, the tempurature fluctuations will be less. I think aging in the carboy is better for mead as long as you do a secondary or even a third rack.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Quick Reply