Technical question and moot point

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquavitae

Reaction score
Sooo I started my first batch of JAOM (sort of) on 1/12 and have been lurking on here since. I notice that pretty much all of you are fans of the "shake the piss out of it" method of aerating the must, but I used an electric mixer. Will that do the job well enough?

Either way, it has been sitting in the jug and seems to be doing okay. The balloon fell over and isn't quite as inflated as it was, but i can still see bubbles rising when I look in, so I assume all is well there.

I also fudged the recipe a bit because I didn't want to go back to walmart. I don't have the cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice in it. Is it going to taste bad without them? I plan on starting a second batch next week, following the recipe precisely. Maybe taste them alongside one another to compare.

Sure, it'll be fine without spices. As for the mixer, should work ok; I use a blender to mix/areate mead musts & works great. I'd ditch the balloon in favour of an airlock though. Now it's just waiting for the magic to happen.
Regards, GF.

Sure, it'll be fine without spices. As for the mixer, should work ok; I use a blender to mix/areate mead musts & works great. I'd ditch the balloon in favour of an airlock though. Now it's just waiting for the magic to happen.
Regards, GF.

I agree. As far as aerating: I just stir well and have never had a problem and I live in Colorado. The disolved O2 in the water is mostly enough. Using a blender an a cup or two and mixing that in should be fine. But for me, to disolve the honey I just warm up the water a bit on my brew pot, not really boiling. Just enough to get it warm. At that point I am stirring it almost contantly and then when I toss in the yeast after it has cooled a bit and temp check to make sure I am below 90 degrees, then I just toss in the yeast and give a good stir. Haven't had a problem.

Second the airlock. Ballons are all good and well but an air lock will make sure that everything that could come into contact with your mead is on purpose.

Matrix

Sounds like you'd be fine...and i agree with everyone else...invest on an airlock...their cheep and i just feel better with one instead of a balloon

My aerating methods involve stirring and shaking at different steps of the way

Back