Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 AM   #11
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I've seen the JOAM recipe recommended here on a number of occasions. I just checked out Malkore's version after you recommended it. Is the orange flavor very forthcoming in these recipes? I'm not a fan of strong orange flavored drinks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Icewatch
Recipes 

I have a friend who has made sever versions of Mead.. All of which had extreme complexities of flavors. I will also add that I do not like wine very much. This is in northern California. The best I will say was his Dry Raspberry. It was intense, strong of flavor and had the insane requirement to drink more.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
I've seen the JOAM recipe recommended here on a number of occasions. I just checked out Malkore's version after you recommended it. Is the orange flavor very forthcoming in these recipes? I'm not a fan of strong orange flavored drinks.
Having never made them, I can't say, but mead is a lot like beer. If you don't want something, change it.

But at the cost, it's not hard to try one as is, and then maybe another without orange or replacing with something else.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6 View Post
Having never made them, I can't say, but mead is a lot like beer. If you don't want something, change it.

But at the cost, it's not hard to try one as is, and then maybe another without orange or replacing with something else.
Yeah it's just that the whole recipe is about oranges, and so many people love it that I'm guessing it's pretty good. I'll probably make a gallon of it and another gallon of regular mead.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, if you do some searching around here and various other parts of the intarwebs, you'll probably find a few variations. I've seen the Ancient Grape Mead around, might be in the recipe section here.

I would suggest searching for Joe's Ancient Mead, JOAM, JOGM, etc. IIRC Malkore's version is minor changes and uses a real brewing yeast instead of the bread yeast.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
Thanks for the heads up on where to look for commercial meads. My buddy went up to Norway for a bit and tried some mead, but didn't like it. Like Bill, I'd like to try some before brewing. So my list is:

Redstone
White Winter
Chaucer

Right now I'm reading a book on mead called "The Compleat Meadmaker". Even if I don't end up likeing mead that much I'd like to try making it at least once.

That is actually the BEST book out there for making mead. Try the sweet show mead recipie. I use a variation of it in my mead. Tweeked here and there. But it is the best book for making mead. Hands down. You have the right book. That plus a little advice from websites and you will make meads that fit your taste in no time. I have only had one batch of mead turn out not to my taste but my freinds liked it. It was a Watermellon mead that gave an off taste at the end that was described to me as taking a bite of the rind, not all that unpleasant for some.

If you are looking for a very sweet drink then Chaucers is your choice. You can easily make a better mead. Rocky Mountain Meadery makes a good sweet mead but to me it tastes slightly soapy.

The one suggestion I would give for making good mead is to to pay attention to sanitation. Sanitize your tools every time they touch your product before and clean them afterward. You won't go wrong.

Oh, I also would say that it does not take 5 years to age mead. 6 months to 1 year aging after it clears is just fine. Some meads are drinkable at bottling time but slightly astringent due to the fuelsol alcohols. Tasting "Hot" or of alcohol.

They say that bulk aging is better and quicker but I don't know. Also Oaking the mead makes it tastier quicker too.

Hope this makes more understandable. Saying that you don't like mead by tasting only one is like saying that you don't like vegtables and fruit by tasting one bad apple. Just too much variety can be had with mead.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #17
yogensha

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started my first batch of mead before I ever actually tried any (crazy?). After fermentation started slowing, I got a couple of bottles from Redstone for comparison. I found it pleasant but too sweet. One of my fellow tasters said something like, "this is nice, but now I'm ready for a good chardonnay."

Any suggestions for something drier? Medovina looks interesting, but I'm not comfortable with sending my credit card number unencrypted.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:53 AM   #18
KCWortHog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I *highly* recommend listening to the Jamil Show on mead too
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/T...-Show-12-01-08

Schramm is a guest and explains step additions and a lot of information that isn't in the book.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:58 AM   #19
1Brotherbill
Recipes 

Really didn't expect this thread to go this long.

I'm going to look for some more types of Mead before I give it a final verdict.

The Ancient Mead recipe that uses bread yeast. What is the predicted ABV with bread yeast? I haven't found out anything on what the alcohol tolerance is for that type of yeast.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #20
MarcJWaters
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I typically steer clear of the fruity meads and stick with spicier ones. Right now, I have a DELICIOUS Vanilla mead brewing that I have sampled at different intervals (2, 4, and 6 months). I made it sweet and the lack of fruit makes it taste nothing like wine and more like what people think mead will taste like.

Please donate generously to my account so that I may become a Premium Supporter.

Quick Reply