Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Taste Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
1Brotherbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Taste Question

So before I took up the task of brewing and aging a mead for five years. I decided to find some at my local bottle shop. I found to my surprise about six or seven different types from local Minnesota wineries.

So I picked up a bottle of semi sweet mead that was blended with a wild plum wine. The ratio is something like 70/30 mead to wine. All I got to say is that this tastes about the same as a red wine or white zinfendel, bitter and not really all that good.

So is it just my bad luck or is this normal with mead? Should I shop around for another brand? Because nector of the gods is far from what I expreienced. If it was the nector of the gods I drank, I would rather be a mortal and have good tasting drinks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 47

This thread is so hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing through the whole thing. I could just imagine you taking a sip five years from now, and shaking your head as you pour it on the floor. I would like to try my hand at meads when I get back to the US, and if you find some good mead let me know so I can try it before brewing.

That goes for anyone else who is willing to send me a bottle of their mead so I can try it.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I didn't know that Minnesota was all that well known for their meads. What you drank was not mead. It may have been a mead-style drink but if the mead was good to begin with, why would anyone blend it with plum wine? You have a great meadery right next door in WI. Try White Winter Mead from Iron River, WI to get a taste of a good mead or Redstone from CO. Both have taken awards at the International Mead Festival.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Androshen
Recipes 

My wife and I really like Chaucer's mead ... even comes with packets of mulling spices which we are saving but have not used ...... yet.

http://www.chaucerswine.com/mead.asp

Whatever doesn't kill me ...... had better run alot faster than I can ....

Old 11-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
MarcJWaters
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Redstone has never steered me wrong. I think their stuff is delectable.

Please donate generously to my account so that I may become a Premium Supporter.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Be wary of commercial brew, while I didn't like Chaucer's, I've loved the redstone and white winter I've had but everyone is different. Keep that in mind if you don't like what you buy, it doesn't mean you won't like what you brew.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Before you give up on mead, make sure you try unblended stuff.

If it's blended with a bad wine, it will make bad mead.

Edit: I can either taste like a red wine or a white wine - how could it taste like either at the same time??

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
dinich
Recipes 

There have been other threads on this general topic,
What does mead taste like
Can I try some
It wasn't what I expected
ect....

When I mention to people that I make mead or Honey wine. I'm always asked for a taste. I'm more than happy to oblige but always get the same reaction, that first facial expression, before they tell me it's unique or good or whatever.

I think most people have an expectation that mead will taste like honey or a honey infused fruit juice. I've only experienced this on meads that have been back-sweetened or not allowed to ferment completely, otherwise I get a dry, semi-dry, semi-sweet, ect wine with a complexity of flavor.

In my opinion we need to educate people that Mead is Wine, an alcoholic beverage and as such they should prepare themselves for that experience.

My experience in giving taste tests is that the people who enjoy mead are also people who enjoy the taste of a good wine, and that the ones who give the little facial expression are generally not wine people.

Redstone puts out a very good commercial product, I'm partial to Medovina Meadery in Niwot, Co.

My $.02

D

Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Thanks for the heads up on where to look for commercial meads. My buddy went up to Norway for a bit and tried some mead, but didn't like it. Like Bill, I'd like to try some before brewing. So my list is:

Redstone
White Winter
Chaucer

Right now I'm reading a book on mead called "The Compleat Meadmaker". Even if I don't end up likeing mead that much I'd like to try making it at least once.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should make a quick/cheap version of Malkore's Ancient Orange if you have a 1g fermenter. Small batch, not too expensive, and doesn't take forever to age out.

I've not tried much in the way of commercial meads, but one thing I've noticed is a lot of them really like them super dry and high abv. It really turned me off on meads until I had some sweeter varieties that I liked.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Quick Reply