Tannins?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I know that tannins are somewhat encouraged in the wine world, but tannins turned my latest batch down from heavenly to good. What good does tannins really do to mead? And I don't want a wine foo-foo excuse :)

Do people put a lot of tannins in mead? I kinda figured you wouldn't need it, it's like not the same thing, y'know? Maybe if you want some "bite" (which is what the tannins do), you could up the citrus-y aspects? I don't know. Mead is a different beast.

From a mead site:

"Tannin helps the brew work more efficiently and adds to the balance of the finished product. It also helps bind the protein and ride it out of the must, providing a clearer mead. Tannin affects the mead by providing an astringency that gives the mead it's 'punch'. You would add tannin to a mead that did *not* have hops, herbs or fruits. They generally don't need it but it does work nicley in a plain mead. You can get tannins from black tea. "

Sounds like it's just another flavor note to counter the sweetness.

A small amount of gelatin finings will reduce the tannins.

Back