The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Taking original gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
peppage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Taking original gravity

I started making small batches of mead with all different kinds of ingredients and it's been pretty exciting. At first I wasn't concerned with taking any specific gravity readings but now that I'm more serious I am very curious what the final % alcohol is going to be.

I wanted to know how am I suppose to take original gravity readings on meads where I add fruit, like oranges and pears. How will the fruit affect the reading or am I missing something and it doesn't matter?

Would I be better off using a vinometer to have a reading before bottling? I can't imagine that it is very accurate for mead.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You need to crush up the fruit. I add the hot water/sugar/honey mixture over frozen fruit, crush it up, then take the reading.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also be sure to mix it up well. I've been doing 1 gallon batches lately and you need to tip the jug for several minutes before everything is all mixed evenly.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #4
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppage View Post
...Would I be better off using a vinometer to have a reading before bottling? I can't imagine that it is very accurate for mead.
FYI... Vinometers are most accurate when testing dry wines where very little residual sugar is present. The sweeter the wine (mead, etc.) the less accurate the vinometer becomes.

Visit me at the Brew Brothers

Quick Reply