Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > SWMBO likes mead. Maybe she'll like braggot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
kevokie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Badducky, how big is that batch of pomelo melomel? It sounds really good. I'm assuming 5 gallons?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
badducky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yup. 5.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #13
badducky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

On the Braggot, final gravity struck this morning in the secondary. We're going to bottle after dinner. Should be fun!

It smells really good, like a very light, pleasant beer/mead thing.

Flavor at bottling is very floral, with much youth, but once the bottles condition a while, I think the floral aspect will really come out. The braggot isn't very clear, I'm afraid, but it's about as clear as I think it's going to get with that particular yeast. The cake formed up fine on the bottom, and the bracket dropped clear-ish, but there's still a little lingering cloudiness. I suspect the yeast, Wyeast German Ale, is to blame. A yeast that drops clear without filtration, like Nottingham or Wyeast American Ale, would probably be a better choice for folks who want a brighter color.

The rose hips are very prominent, right on the edge of soapy. A little bit more, and it would be soapy. I would hesitate to ever put more than an ounce of rosehips in anything, now that I've tried it once.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
badducky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I cracked one open today, just to see how it's coming.

Overcarbed a little bit, alas, but otherwise it's coming along nicely. Very tasty. The rosehips are settling down, and I suspect in three more weeks that rocket-fuel heat from the honey will fade (which is still present, to a lesser degree then at bottling).

There's a real floral/hoppy/rosehippy aroma that rises up through the sinuses in a very pleasant way that is not overpowering, but there enough to be noticed and enjoyed.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
badducky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Six months have passed since brewing this batch. It's *delicious* though I did over-carb. At this point the rosehips are far in the background, but still pleasantly present with the palisades hops. I wonder how they will do as some real time passes, but I think this is definitely a quality combination. The powerful aspects have mellowed down a lot, and it's a great cool sipping drink, with enough alcohol to keep you sitting down.

One note: The German Ale Yeast tastes fantastic, but some of my bottles are very cloudy. I think some fining agents would help, or a cold crash before bottling.

I think I've hit the beginning of the best flavor with the braggot at about six months. We'll see how it improves with age, if any survive.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #16
Zabuza
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What about the pomelo-melomel? Any sampling of that yet? I'm curious to see how it turned out/is doing at 6 months.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
badducky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We'll be cracking that one open at the wedding, and not a moment sooner. It will be exciting, for sure!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
badducky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The Pomelomelomel was and is amazing. We set some bottles aside for drinking during anniversaries. It came out like a nice, dry, fruity and slightly-bitter white wine. No champagne fizz at all, alas, but at nearly 19% alcohol, that may be why. I could see this recipe working well with a white wine yeast that doesn't get so dry, but I don't think I'd do it differently. Even without the fizz, it is a treasure to cherish our whole lives as we open the remaining bottles at select wedding anniversaries.

I think the Melomel was better than the braggot. I don't know, with a few more beers under my belt, if I'd do that braggot again. I think different hops would be in order, the more I think about it, and a different yeast.

Anyway, just an update for those watching at home.

Quick Reply