Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Sweet strawberry mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedLarsen View Post
Just a quick note: I'm making this exact mead right now. I just racked it off the fruit, and it's now sitting and making merry bubbles in my carboy. It's a lovely orange/pink color. Can't wait for it to start to clear.

Thanks for this recipe -- it sounds (and smell) fantastic. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!
Awesome! I am glad someone else gets to enjoy my recipe. I'd love to compair notes when it is done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you want a Tried and True Strawberry mead recipe that will knock your socks off, and all of your guests..this is the one for you. I posted this quite some time ago. Everyone who has made it loves it. It's good stuff, and we've take ALL of the guesswork out for you!

Good luck
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/grou...y-mead-156994/

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
Devo9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
If you want a Tried and True Strawberry mead recipe that will knock your socks off, and all of your guests..this is the one for you. I posted this quite some time ago. Everyone who has made it loves it. It's good stuff, and we've take ALL of the guesswork out for you!

Good luck
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/grou...y-mead-156994/
I might try that some day, thanks for the link.

But it is definitely not the same as what I am making here. I planned to have something with a more complex flavour, hence the vanilla, rhubarb, and thyme. I wish I could rename this thread "Summer Pie Mead" or "Sweet Strawberry Rhubarb Mead", but it is a little late now, so who cares...

Plus there is something to be said for something you have come up with yourself. I love making something new and unique, it is fun to experiment. The guess work is half the fun!

Cheers!

Edit: By the way, Flyweed, my recipe was originally based off of yours. I used yours as a starting point. It took me a while to remember what I started from, but it came to me... so thanks for that!

Reason: Addition

Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
TedLarsen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

The only difference in how I made it is that after starting to ferment the basic must in a primary (for about 10 days or so), I then added the frozen strawberries and rhubarb (thawed) into the primary. Racked off those 7 days later, and added the thyme and lemon zest (in a hops bag) in that carboy.

Just slight changes in the timing -- and those mostly because I determined I'd rather try to clean out those (disgusting!) strawberries from a primary than a carboy. It's still fermenting away like crazy in the carboy.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #25
Devo9
Recipes 

Quote:
The only difference in how I made it is that after starting to ferment the basic must in a primary (for about 10 days or so), I then added the frozen strawberries and rhubarb (thawed) into the primary. Racked off those 7 days later, and added the thyme and lemon zest (in a hops bag) in that carboy.

Just slight changes in the timing -- and those mostly because I determined I'd rather try to clean out those (disgusting!) strawberries from a primary than a carboy. It's still fermenting away like crazy in the carboy.
Actually, I plan on doing this next time I make this recipe! It isn't easy to take the fruit out of that carboy...

Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
TedLarsen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

You never posted if it came out as delicious as it sounds....

I am really liking the smell of mine, although as it continues to ferment I'm not picking up quite as much strawberry as I wish. I may still add another pound into the carboy (which would invalidate the "cleaning the carboy" comment I made earlier). I'll take a quick taste in a week or so, and see what I think.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Devo9
Recipes 

Quote:
You never posted if it came out as delicious as it sounds....

I am really liking the smell of mine, although as it continues to ferment I'm not picking up quite as much strawberry as I wish. I may still add another pound into the carboy (which would invalidate the "cleaning the carboy" comment I made earlier). I'll take a quick taste in a week or so, and see what I think.
So far it tastes great. I got a lot of strawberry flavour coming through. It may be because I ran fresh strawberries through the juicer, rather then using frozen strawberries!? I did recently add frozen strawberries in hopes of adding yet more strawberry flavour, but it is a lot messier and I plan on the last bit of strawberries I add to be juiced like the first batch.

My mead is still far from finished, I will post more about it when I get closer to being done.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #28
raymondim
Recipes 

Have any pictures?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #29
Devo9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondim View Post
Have any pictures?
Not yet, but can always take some when I get home.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
Devo9
Recipes 

I got a picture of it today, but It isn't a very good picture. I'll try posting a better one when I have time.

strawberry-rhubarb-mead.jpg  

Quick Reply