Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Sweet strawberry mead
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 587
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Ok here's my 2 cents:

Volume: Looks like you have a 5 gal batch, with the amount of honey you have. Good, I dislike anything less than 5 gal.

Strawberries: Having done a couple of strawberries, 14 pounds is not overkill for a 5 gal batch. Yes that is about 1 pound of strawberries for 1 pound of honey.

Cinamon Sticks and nutmeg: Drop them. I wouldn't suggest them together. For complexity sake I would probly do a tablespoon of lemon zest and then put something like a 1 teaspoon of Thyme in it, Very little spices go a long way. The other way you can see what will complement strawberries is to look at many strawberry deserts and see what is used there for spices. Since strawberries are sweet I would go with a sweet type spice, Basil, Thyme, Mint are all good choices. If you use mint extract, store bought, then use less than 1/4 a teaspoon.

Rasins: Good for nutrients, be good to chop them a little. I prefer to use yeast energizer and yeast nutrient in my mix Energizer is also known as DAP. Max of 1 tablespoon of nutrient and energizer should be all that's needed.

Yeast: Your choice of yeast is good but I would use either Lavin D-47 ro Lavin 71B. I have found that these yeasts complement the floral quality of the fruit and also they are good clean, no fuss yeast strains. I use 2 packets when I brew a 5 gal. I prep them in about 6 oz of water, room temp and add a little of the must as well, let sit and bubble for about 15-30 min. It should foam up a bit. Also, the packets of yeast are usually only around a $1 each. Cheaper than a liquid yeast starter.

Vanilla Bean: You may not taste much vanilla with only one bean but it will round out the flavor nicely. If you are going for a light vanilla flavor I would use 3, good vanilla flavor I would use 6 beans.

Process: Due to the volitile nature of so much sugar and the fact that you want to preserve the flavor of the strawberries, I would put all spices and fruit into the secondary fermentation. I did one batch in the primary and the strawberries blew up and it took longer to age out the fusel alcohols. I would also only use 12 pounds of honey in the primary and back sweeten with the other 2 pounds of honey. Yeast love the strawberries and it will mostlikely ferment dry, so after stablizing with some potasium sorbate, back sweetening would be good. Also, for cleanliness, Put your strawberries in mesh bag. Trust me, it will be easier to remove. I put my spices in one bag, a hops bag and my oak chips in a hops bag, and the fruit in a large nylon bag. Much easier to clean up.

Seriously consider 1 oz of lightly toasted oak chips in the Must at the end, prior to final clearing and leave in for about 2 weeks to a month. It will add complexity and make it smoother.

I would also seriously consider 1 tablespoon of pectic enzyme to help in clearing this too. It should end up a nice clear beautiful pink color.

Fining: I would also consider after oaking using some sparkloid to help clear this. I think with 5 gal.

Timing: I would expect that this would take about 6-8 months to ferment and clear and 1 year to age properly. It may be drinkable at the 6 month age mark but OMG it is worth the wait. So, I would not make it for this coming june but the next one after that for aging.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Matrix

__________________
Matrix4b is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 431
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
Ok here's my 2 cents:

Volume: Looks like you have a 5 gal batch, with the amount of honey you have. Good, I dislike anything less than 5 gal.

Strawberries: Having done a couple of strawberries, 14 pounds is not overkill for a 5 gal batch. Yes that is about 1 pound of strawberries for 1 pound of honey.

Cinamon Sticks and nutmeg: Drop them. I wouldn't suggest them together. For complexity sake I would probly do a tablespoon of lemon zest and then put something like a 1 teaspoon of Thyme in it, Very little spices go a long way. The other way you can see what will complement strawberries is to look at many strawberry deserts and see what is used there for spices. Since strawberries are sweet I would go with a sweet type spice, Basil, Thyme, Mint are all good choices. If you use mint extract, store bought, then use less than 1/4 a teaspoon.

Rasins: Good for nutrients, be good to chop them a little. I prefer to use yeast energizer and yeast nutrient in my mix Energizer is also known as DAP. Max of 1 tablespoon of nutrient and energizer should be all that's needed.

Yeast: Your choice of yeast is good but I would use either Lavin D-47 ro Lavin 71B. I have found that these yeasts complement the floral quality of the fruit and also they are good clean, no fuss yeast strains. I use 2 packets when I brew a 5 gal. I prep them in about 6 oz of water, room temp and add a little of the must as well, let sit and bubble for about 15-30 min. It should foam up a bit. Also, the packets of yeast are usually only around a $1 each. Cheaper than a liquid yeast starter.

Vanilla Bean: You may not taste much vanilla with only one bean but it will round out the flavor nicely. If you are going for a light vanilla flavor I would use 3, good vanilla flavor I would use 6 beans.

Process: Due to the volitile nature of so much sugar and the fact that you want to preserve the flavor of the strawberries, I would put all spices and fruit into the secondary fermentation. I did one batch in the primary and the strawberries blew up and it took longer to age out the fusel alcohols. I would also only use 12 pounds of honey in the primary and back sweeten with the other 2 pounds of honey. Yeast love the strawberries and it will mostlikely ferment dry, so after stablizing with some potasium sorbate, back sweetening would be good. Also, for cleanliness, Put your strawberries in mesh bag. Trust me, it will be easier to remove. I put my spices in one bag, a hops bag and my oak chips in a hops bag, and the fruit in a large nylon bag. Much easier to clean up.

Seriously consider 1 oz of lightly toasted oak chips in the Must at the end, prior to final clearing and leave in for about 2 weeks to a month. It will add complexity and make it smoother.

I would also seriously consider 1 tablespoon of pectic enzyme to help in clearing this too. It should end up a nice clear beautiful pink color.

Fining: I would also consider after oaking using some sparkloid to help clear this. I think with 5 gal.

Timing: I would expect that this would take about 6-8 months to ferment and clear and 1 year to age properly. It may be drinkable at the 6 month age mark but OMG it is worth the wait. So, I would not make it for this coming june but the next one after that for aging.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Matrix
Thank you for your input! This is very helpful for somebody as inexperienced as myself.

"Cinnamon Sticks and nutmeg: Drop them. " - I think I'll take this advice, but I will say I was going to use these because that are the only ingredients I could find in strawberry recipes (however I only looked at about 10 recipes).

"lemon zest and then put something like a 1 teaspoon of Thyme in it" - this sounds nice, I think I'll use this instead of the Cinnamon and nutmeg

"Yeast: Your choice of yeast is good but I would use either Lavin D-47 or Lavin 71B" - I am a little hesitant to do this, as this will drastically increase the alcohol content and reduce the sweetness of my mead if I understand correctly. I might consider these and using 8 lbs of honey to start and then back sweetening with 4 lbs after stabilizing. The wife really isn't a fan of dry meads.

"Vanilla Bean: You may not taste much vanilla with only one bean but it will round out the flavor nicely" - This is exactly what I had in mind. I wasn't really after a noticeable vanilla flavor. However I may increase the vanilla to 2 beans, just to be safe. A little vanilla flavor never hurts.

"Process: I would put all spices and fruit into the secondary fermentation" - This was my plan all along, but it is nice to see I was on the right track.

"12 pounds of honey in the primary and back sweeten with the other 2 pounds of honey." - As I said above I might do this, but with a 10:4 ratio instead of the 12:2 ratio you suggest.

"Yeast love the strawberries and it will most likely ferment dry, so after stabilizing with some potassium sorbate, back sweetening would be good. Also, for cleanliness, Put your strawberries in mesh bag. Trust me, it will be easier to remove." - I found a place to get strawberry juice online. No additives, no preservatives. I was thinking of adding this to the must, but maybe it would be good to use when back sweetening. What do you think? (I could go back to a 12:2 honey ratio, 2 lbs. of honey + Strawberry juice would be very sweet I'm sure)

And the mesh bag, I will definitely do that!

"Seriously consider 1 oz of lightly toasted oak chips in the Must at the end, prior to final clearing and leave in for about 2 weeks to a month. It will add complexity and make it smoother." - it never occurred to me to try this. I think I'll try doing this.

"I would also seriously consider 1 tablespoon of pectic enzyme to help in clearing this too. It should end up a nice clear beautiful pink color.

Fining: I would also consider after oaking using some sparkloid to help clear this. I think with 5 gal."
- I will see how hard it is to clear, I don't like too many chemical additives, but if it is needed I will do this.

"Timing: I would expect that this would take about 6-8 months to ferment and clear and 1 year to age properly. It may be drinkable at the 6 month age mark but OMG it is worth the wait. So, I would not make it for this coming june but the next one after that for aging." - If I can find the patients I will keep this for the 2nd year anniversary. But I might break down and steal a glass in June...

Thanks again for the advice! I feel a lot better about this recipe already.
__________________
Devo9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 431
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Oh, one more question! Should I do anything to sanitize the strawberries, rhubarb, and Vanilla beans before adding them to the secondary? How can I sanitize them without ruining them?

__________________
Devo9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
paraordnance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 861
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo9 View Post
Oh, one more question! Should I do anything to sanitize the strawberries, rhubarb, and Vanilla beans before adding them to the secondary? How can I sanitize them without ruining them?
do not worry about sanatizing fruit. Most people way over think this procces and go as far as heat pasturizing, big mistake. You adding fruit to 11-14% alcohol, it will sanitize anything. I never had problems. Just freeze it and you good to go
__________________
paraordnance is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
nukinfuts29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pike County, MO
Posts: 1,657
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

>>Now I just need to figure out the best yeast to use. Will Nottingham yeast go beyond 11% ABV?

I would use Montratchet wine yeast. Just my $0.02

__________________

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.
nukinfuts29 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 431
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
do not worry about sanatizing fruit. Most people way over think this procces and go as far as heat pasturizing, big mistake. You adding fruit to 11-14% alcohol, it will sanitize anything. I never had problems. Just freeze it and you good to go
Awesome, I won't worry about it then! Thanks!
__________________
Devo9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #17
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 587
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo9 View Post
"lemon zest and then put something like a 1 teaspoon of Thyme in it" - this sounds nice, I think I'll use this instead of the Cinnamon and nutmeg

"Yeast: Your choice of yeast is good but I would use either Lavin D-47 or Lavin 71B" - I am a little hesitant to do this, as this will drastically increase the alcohol content and reduce the sweetness of my mead if I understand correctly. I might consider these and using 8 lbs of honey to start and then back sweetening with 4 lbs after stabilizing. The wife really isn't a fan of dry meads.

"Yeast love the strawberries and it will most likely ferment dry, so after stabilizing with some potassium sorbate, back sweetening would be good. Also, for cleanliness, Put your strawberries in mesh bag. Trust me, it will be easier to remove." - I found a place to get strawberry juice online. No additives, no preservatives. I was thinking of adding this to the must, but maybe it would be good to use when back sweetening. What do you think? (I could go back to a 12:2 honey ratio, 2 lbs. of honey + Strawberry juice would be very sweet I'm sure)

Fining: I would also consider after oaking using some sparkloid to help clear this. I think with 5 gal." [/B]- I will see how hard it is to clear, I don't like too many chemical additives, but if it is needed I will do this.


Thanks again for the advice! I feel a lot better about this recipe already.
The Strawberry juice: Good Idea, as long as it doesn't have any preservatives. My first batch of strawberry I atempted to make strawberry juice but the puree is to thick. Oh, also if you do end up in a large mesh bag be sure to strain the bag and let it drip down for a bit, no use loosing the extra volume. I think that you will get good milage out of the Thyme. I did a Raspberry Thyme and it smelled AWESOME. Tasted even better. You don't really think about it but Thyme is a very big aromatic. Especially if you use fresh and non-dried. If you use fresh herbs then I would go with a full tablespoon as the extra water bulks it up a bit. Simply buy or find Thyme in the raw plant form. I preferr a small muslin hops bag to put my spices and herbs in for the same reason that I put the fruit in a bag. Same thing with the oak chips.

As far as the chemical additives: Sparkloid only grabs the yeast and Protine strands and other items and completely drops out into the lees. So I wouldn't worry about that. Many Wine Brewers add Irish Moss to help clear their wine, this is not needed. Also, Many Wine Brewers will say to add Tannin and citric acid. Both are also not needed in Mead. Just like Beer brewers will say boiling the honey is neccessary. It isn't. Just warm enough to melt the honey into the water is all that's needed.

Oh, Something else that may help you. Sanitize your equipment prior to starting. I use those little blue pills that they have in restraunts and creates a blue sanitizing water, soak for 2 min or so, then air dry.

I think that you will be good. Please let us know how it turns out. Pics are great if you can, If you can't, oh well. Me personally, I post my brewing on my livejournal out at matrix4b on livejournal.com. I look back at it occasionally to judge myself and see my process.

Here is a good place for advice and over at Gotmead.com is great for mead too. The best 2 sources on the internet as far as I am conserned.

Good luck

Matrix
__________________
Matrix4b is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 431
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

That strawberry juice source may not pan out... They only deliver to Toronto, Ontario! BUT I used to live there, so I might be able to get a friend to recieve it and then ship it out to me. But I'm not sure if that is realistic...

But first I'll check the local organic food stores.

Oh and I checked out your journal. Awesome! I signed up myself, but time will tell if I'll actually bother posting regularly... Oh, and Devo9 is my journal user name, but I have yet to post anything! Maybe I'll start my first post later today.

Either way I'll try to keep this thread updated with my progress and pictures!

__________________
Signature Rock Meadery
Devo9 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #19
Heckle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hartford, Connecticut
Posts: 256
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
do not worry about sanatizing fruit. Most people way over think this procces and go as far as heat pasturizing, big mistake. You adding fruit to 11-14% alcohol, it will sanitize anything. I never had problems. Just freeze it and you good to go
I used Dole frozen strawberries. Didn't thaw or anything, just tossed them into my secondary.
__________________
Heckle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
TedLarsen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Strongsville, Ohio
Posts: 56
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Just a quick note: I'm making this exact mead right now. I just racked it off the fruit, and it's now sitting and making merry bubbles in my carboy. It's a lovely orange/pink color. Can't wait for it to start to clear.

Thanks for this recipe -- it sounds (and smell) fantastic. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

__________________
TedLarsen is offline
Devo9 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mead Judging - Question about sweet traditional mead jezter6 Mead Forum 5 01-20-2014 04:00 PM
Sparkling mead? Dry or sweet mead? sentfromspain Mead Forum 4 04-14-2011 07:58 AM
Mead newbie question: how to make a bottle conditioned, sweet, sparkling mead? weirdboy Mead Forum 36 05-28-2010 06:24 AM
My first mead, AHS Sweet Traditional Mead Kit Jumbo82 Mead Forum 8 02-05-2008 04:34 PM
Sweet Mead Saintdanmic Mead Forum 3 09-12-2007 09:20 PM