Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Sweet Mead Activator Wyeast ACT4184

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Wyrmwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Sweet Mead Activator Wyeast ACT4184

Anyone tried this Sweet Mead Activator Wyeast ACT4184?

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

This is a yeast that has quite a reputation for causing problems. While it can make very good meads, it often causes stuck fermentations if it is not well managed. It tends to be sensitive to pH, nutrients, aeration and temp, and while you can say this about all yeast, this strain seems more so.

If I had a nickle for every time I saw some new meadcrafter with a stuck fermentation because they used this strain thinking "this must be best for a mead - it says mead right on the label," I'd be able to afford the premium membership.

Medsen

Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Glad I asked. Is there a recommended liquid yeast? This seemed like a no brainer after all the joy I've had with wyeast 1056.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

According to this research, perhaps I should use While Labs Merlot, stabilize and back sweeten with more honey? Sound like a good idea?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
jakel
Recipes 

I am currently brewing with the wyeast dry mead yeast. It had a slow start, but it is at a healthy bubble two and a half weeks later, about a bubble a second. I have added a tsp of nutrients to some warm water in a shot glass and poured into the primary every three days for the first two weeks of primary fermitation.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Narbonne 71-B yeast.
Staggered Nutrient additions per Schramm.
Degas 2-3 times a day the first week of primary.

Do this, and you'll be done fermenting in about 2 weeks, and drinking good mead in as little as 6 weeks.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
I do not know what this means (understand staggered, but not "per Schramm")

Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
jguy898
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Narbonne 71-B yeast.
Degas 2-3 times a day the first week of primary.

Do this, and you'll be done fermenting in about 2 weeks, and drinking good mead in as little as 6 weeks.
Where is Schramm's Staggered Nutrient Addition info? I have his book, and don't remember reading his SNA.

Wyrmwood, by "per Schramm" he means per the author Ken Schramm, in the book "The Compleat MeadMaker", I would assume.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What is SCA1, SCA2, H2, prod and lanl? (From the link above over at mead made complicated)

Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

found this....

snipped from http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=60156

Quote:
In an article published in Zymurgy, Ken Schramm writes:

1) Rehydration at 104°F with Go-Ferm or other organic rehydration nutrient at a rate of 1.25 grams nutrient per gram of yeast. In all cases, addition of nutrients by weight will be more accurate than by volume...
2) Addition of 3 grams (approximately 0.75 teaspoon) Fermaid K, plus 4 grams (1 teaspoon) DAP per 5 gallons of must with a vigorous aeration at the end of the lag phase (six to 12 hours, at the start of obvious fermentation activity). This equates to 21 ounces Fermaid K plus 28 ounces DAP per 1.000 gallons. For gravities above 1.125, increase these amounts by an additional 25 percent.
3) addition of 1 gram (0.25 teaspoon) DAP, plus 1 gram (0.125 teaspoon) Fermaid K with a vigorous aeration at 12-hour intervals until 50 percent sugar depletion or five days, whichever occurs first (7 ounces DAP plus 3.5 ounces Fermaid K per 1,000 gallons).
4) Supplementing the potassium levels to a minimum of 300 ppm with a potassium source... For home meadmakers, potassium bitartrate or potassium phosphate are viable options.

Quick Reply