Sweet Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintdanmic

Reaction score
I ordered a sweet mead kit from midwest. It's been in primary for about 3 weeks now. Bubbling away about once every 10 seconds. The kit was 12lbs clover, nutrient, and I upgraded to White Labs Sweet Mead 720 pitchable tube.
It took about a week to start bubbling and it's staying pretty steady on the basement floor at about 68F.

I did notice a little white formation on the surface about the diameter of a pencil eraser. At first I thought it was a little baby kraussen, but it's still there, not changing in size or shape. Could this be some kind of mold formation that couldn't go on anymore after all of the air was forced out?

And if so, am I right in thinking that before I rack after the first month, I can just scoop it out and it should be fine since it would be hard to survive in the honey/alcohol solution?

Me=nervous. 4 months is a long investment for a batch-for me anyways.

Check very closely before the worry set in (not so close your nose dips in though!). I have seen this in some of my brews but the little white spots were air bubbles, just very small and close together. If indeed bacteria somehow formed on the top, I would say siphon under it. I did this with a beer and it tastes fine to me and everyone else who has drunk it.

I have a few on my mead right now, they're just little bubbles from the residual yeast fermenting. If they get fuzzy, well then its pretty obvious :)

mike

Back