Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Striping oxygen with dry ice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Grahambo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Striping oxygen with dry ice

So it's been a few years since I made mead(or beer for that matter) but I'm getting redy to get back into it with renewed zeal. Afew of the mead recipes I've been copying down from books here in hawaii say to try to avoid letting the med come into contact with air as much as possible while transferring from the primary to the secondary and to the bottles. I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on using small chips of dry ice to strip O2 from the environment before transfer. I on't thin bacteria can survive on dry ice due to how cold it is and this would seem to solve the problem of oxygen being in the fermenter. go!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

You can use dry ice, or any other source of co2, to prime your carboy with a blanket of co2. This will help prevent issues of oxidation. If you are talking about adding the dry ice to the mead itself, stop that thought process haha.

Then again, I'd say the large majority of brewers on here to not blanket their brews with co2, but it certainly is the safer bet.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

While it's not a terrible idea, it could have some unforeseen results. Thermal shock is probably the worst case. If the dry ice comes in contact with the glass surface of a carboy, it could cause cracks or even catastrophic failure. Also, you may be introducing some impurities depending on the source of the dry ice. I'm not entirely sure of the manufacturing process, but I'm fairly certain that most dry ice isn't really intended to come into direct contact with food.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
will_cbe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got it. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air. Take a funnel and a strainer. Place the funnel in the carboy, place the strainer in the funnel, place the dry ice in the strainer. As the dry ice evaporates, the carbon dioxide goes into your carboy, pushing the air out. I'd be careful about thermal shock though. The cold gas may still crack your carboy.

Will
www.comicsbyemail.com
Fermenting: Blackberry Wine
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

I would never put dry ice in a glass container. Ever see a 35 quart punch bowl shatter and dump foaming blood-red Halloween punch on the floor?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Ever see a 35 quart punch bowl shatter and dump foaming blood-red Halloween punch on the floor?
That could have happened?!?!? (dodged a bullet...)

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 710 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 1757

If you really want to blanket the must with CO2, get about a foot of clear plastic tubing of a size that will fit over the spout of a plastic sports bottle. Put a couple of chunks of dry ice in the sports bottle & add about a cup of warm tap water. Make certain the spout valve is open (keeping it closed will build up pressure till it explodes) & put the top on the sports bottle. Watch the fog spew out the end of the tubing & direct it into the carbouy. When you think there is enough in there (a couple of inches is plenty) direct more CO2 into the carbouy you're racking to, again a couple of inches is plenty.

If the fog slows or stops, add more hot tap water, and/or more dry ice to the sports bottle. Again, make certain the spout valve is open. When you have enough CO2 in both carbouys, start racking. I've used this technique a few times, but it's an added cost & I have to go cross town to get the dry ice. Mostly I just sulfite instead. But I'll have to admit it's fun to play with dry ice & the technique does work. You can also use CO2 from a cylinder. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply