Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Strawberry Jelly Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #21
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGorilla View Post
I'll put the fruit in my pressure cooker for an hour or so then let it soak in pectic enzyme overnight. Sound like it might work?
Whew, one hour in pressure cooker? IMHO that would be excessive cooking of the fruit. Apples do not even need that much time when making sauce, nor a roast for that matter. There really is no need to cook the fruit when making wine, unless cooking is required to make it safe to consume as needed for some elderberry cultivar, red perhaps; or we choose to cook pumpkin/squash to help convert sugars, etc.
You should consider freezing/thawing for a total of two times (one time even helps immensely), dosing with enzyme, wait at least 12 hours (24 preferred), dose with k-meta, wait at least 8 hours and then finish assembling your must. The action of the double freeze/thaw, plus the pectic enzyme will usually macerate the fruit and increase juice yield substantially and then the process of fermentation will take care of the rest. Process has not failed me yet for soft fruits/berries/stone fruits. Consider using a mesh bag to contain the fruit while in the primary, especially if working with super small seeds like those of blackberries, just make sure the weave of the bag is fine enough to contain the smallest component; makes your work so much easier.

Quote:
So the process of making jelly probably helps break down the fruit which leaves less residue to settle out of the mead.
Jelly does not have any solids remaining, whereas jams/preserves would have solids intact. So simply think of jelly as juice + sugar + pectin and usually a bit of citric acid like lemon juice. Jelly is actually made by using either juice or whole fruit, and if using whole fruit it does start to break down during the heat application and is strained thru a 'jelly bag', much like our use of mesh straining bags in winemaking. You would definitely have less sediment/lees to deal with when making a jelly wine versus a jam/preserve wine.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #22
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 33

OK so my second dose of Jelly was split between two jars with a small amount of water added to liquefy it along with 1.5 tsp of pectic enzyme added. That set a couple of days and now I have racked the strawberry mead on top of it. I added Camden and sorbate to keep further fermentation from happening. Gravity ended up being at 1.02 once it was all mixed up. I added 1 additional tsp of pectic enzyme to the must. It is now sitting in the fridge and looking good. We will see what settles out over the next month and check it again then.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #23
Arpolis
Recipes 

Ok another update to give anyone an idea of what to expect if you try this. Or if you have tried a similar deal and have had different then lt us know.

It has been 24 hours and the middle of the Jar is this crystal clear, super red & just a beautiful looking strawberry mead. It looks so awesome I just want to dip in and start drinking now ... but I resist. Now at both the top and bottom it looks like there is a gel like substance both floating and falling to the bottom. I wonder if this is un-broken pectin? Or if it is strawberry flesh. I am leaning towards un-broken down pectin. I have removed the carboy from the fridge and will leave this at room temp for a while in the hopes that any active enzymes might work on this stuff or at least get it to all drop to the bottom. Let me know what you think.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #24
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'll PM my address so you can send me a sample for an unbiased evaluation.

If by "sanitized" you mean "rinsed under hot water and glared at sternly" then, yes, I sanitized my equipment.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #25
Arpolis
Recipes 

Quote:
I'll PM my address so you can send me a sample for an unbiased evaluation.
Send me some of your brew I'll send you mine

Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #26
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If only I had enough to share. One-gallon batches just don't go very far.

I'm going to try this technique next time I do a berry mead. I think it may offer many of the advantages of the jam.

If by "sanitized" you mean "rinsed under hot water and glared at sternly" then, yes, I sanitized my equipment.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #27
Arpolis
Recipes 

That looks like a cool method for making extracts. You can probably blend and make cool flavors easily with that. Strawberry mimosa extract? Hmmmmmmmm........

Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #28
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Any chance of a pic of the process?

-Kingboomer

Old 05-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #29
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboomer View Post
Any chance of a pic of the process?

-Kingboomer

Put the fruit/veggies/herbs/flowers/whatever in a steamer basket on top of another bowl/pan/tray inside a pressure cooker. The steam pushes the juice out of the fruit, the juice drips into the other pan.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #30
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Very cool, thanks man!

Quick Reply