Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Strawberry Jelly Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Strawberry Jelly Mead

Here is a one gallon tester of something I have wanted to try for a while now. I like Strawberries and have really wanted to do a mead with it and I have been reading about Jelly wines turning out really well so I thought I would mix that up.

So I picked out some Strawberry Jam that had no corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup in it. I have heard of people using strait corn syrup in other things and that stuff makes pure rocket fuel by itself. It is "Welch's Natural strawberry". Ingredients are: Sugar, strawberries, Fruit pectin, Citric acid, red grape juice concentrate & natural flavors".

I am planning the recipe as follows:

2lb local honey
1lb Strawberry Jam
1 tsp black tea (Earl grey)
2 tsp pectic enzyme
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/2tsp yeast energizer
Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast.

I will mix all but the yeast in primary and let sit for 24 hours to let pectic enzyme do it's thing. Then pitch yeast after rehydrating it. Let this run dry and clear over the next 30 days. When fermentation finishes I will throw this in the fridge to help it clear faster. Once clear I'll rack it to a new container and add in Camden and sorbate to stabilize and add in another 1lb of strawberry Jam to back sweeten. That will probably cloudy up so I will let it chill in the fridge till it looks good & then bottle from there unless additional racking is needed.

I'll bet it will be hot and young like most meads at first but I'll save the bottles and test them once every 4 - 6 months and see how it goes.

So after mixing it up the OG is at 1.100 exact so expecting over 13% ABV here.

Feel free to comment, criticize or share experiences if you have tried anything similar and would like to throw your experience out here.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Subscribed! Can't wait to see how this turns out

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 26

No reason why it shouldn't work, but I suspect you should mix the must, use double that amount of pectic enzyme and let that do its thing for a couple or 3 days before pitching the yeast.

You might want to think of an additional source of strawberry flavour for secondary/tertiary.....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
No reason why it shouldn't work, but I suspect you should mix the must, use double that amount of pectic enzyme and let that do its thing for a couple or 3 days before pitching the yeast.
You might want to think of an additional source of strawberry flavour for secondary/tertiary.....
Ok so I will let this go a bit farther before pitching yeast and up the amount of pectic enzyme. I want this baby clear so will give it every shot I can.

For the secondary are you saying I just need to add additional strawberry flavor? Because I plan on adding another lb of jam to secondary already. Or are you saying I need a different source of flavor for secondary? My only concern is that back sweetening with the jam will still cause that pectin haze I am trying to prevent now. Any thoughts?

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you add more jam/jelly in secondary consider dosing it with a decent amount of pectic enzyme before you add it. You may have a better chance of preventing a pectin haze this way. I made a black raspberry jam mead this way but simply used 24 oz jam per gallon and then added honey a day later (to allow the jam to incorporate in must) to hit the target OG. Aged for 9 months and this one is all mine, and is berry delicious.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 396

I'm subbing too. I've been wanting to try a jam wine/mead for some time now.

-Kingboomer

Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
Ok so I will let this go a bit farther before pitching yeast and up the amount of pectic enzyme. I want this baby clear so will give it every shot I can.

For the secondary are you saying I just need to add additional strawberry flavor? Because I plan on adding another lb of jam to secondary already. Or are you saying I need a different source of flavor for secondary? My only concern is that back sweetening with the jam will still cause that pectin haze I am trying to prevent now. Any thoughts?
Either. People forget that primary fermentation can kill off a fair bit of the fruit flavour in more delicately flavoured fruit, and to get plenty of strawb flavour people often put more fruit in secondary and then back sweeten some. So that way or as you already allude to.....more jam.

Just remember if its more jam, you may need to redose with pectic enzyme (just keep an eye on it and see how it goes).

Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
If you add more jam/jelly in secondary consider dosing it with a decent amount of pectic enzyme before you add it. You may have a better chance of preventing a pectin haze this way. I made a black raspberry jam mead this way but simply used 24 oz jam per gallon and then added honey a day later (to allow the jam to incorporate in must) to hit the target OG. Aged for 9 months and this one is all mine, and is berry delicious.
Hum? We got some good mixed fruit jam from last year. I might have to work your numbers into grammes per litre and give that a go......

What starting gravity did you go for Sara ?

Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 173 Posts

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, but seeing if I could add peanut butter also. peanut butter and jam mead always sounded good

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie
I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, but seeing if I could add peanut butter also. peanut butter and jam mead always sounded good
I like how you think! I think peanut butter is a little oily and clumpy, so I dunno how that would affect things...

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Quick Reply