*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Storm - Lambic Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
MarshmallowBlue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Storm - Lambic Mead

I’ve seen a lot of people talking about wanting to try a (P)Lambic or sour mead of some kind. I’ve seen a lot of folks not go through with it. I know some have too, but I’ve decided to be the next one to take the leap.

Storm – Lambic Mead

-Starting Must-
~1.7 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
Water to one gallon
WYeast Lambic Blend (1 smack pack split between two 1 gallon batches)
Starting Gravity 1.065

-Secondary-
2 lbs strawberries per gallon
.25 lb maltodextrin per gallon (added 1 week after sacch starts ferment)

I broke the inner nutrient pack 3 hours before brewing. Each batch is identical with a gravity of 1.065. The pack says that you shouldn’t go far beyond 1.060 and considering how much I paid for the pack, I wasn’t going to test its limits; So I’ll be adding the strawberries in the secondary.

I’ll also be saving yeast sediment slurry from the primary in nippers for future sour generations.

Overnight; fermentation shows no signs. I panicked this morning, being used to dry yeasts and their quick-starts. Some facts to know for those interested:

-The liquid yeasts have longer lag phases.
-It is not recommended to make starters for Sour liquid yeasts, as it messes up the balance of bacteria cultures and yeast (regular liquid yeasts, you can make starters as large as you wish).
-The lag phase is even longer for sour yeast blends. From my research 3-8 days even.

*PS, if this gets De-Railed into a sour mead chat, I won’t mind; as I’ll be keeping a more strict log in my Blog.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
JNEL73
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Heading down the same path as you a lambic mead. Need to blend a lambic and an orange blossom mead I have to get an idea. The mad ferment. Has a post on a honey sour he did and post about lambic mead. Only concern I see is with no unfermentables (believe meads have none) there will be little to feed the Brett, pedio, lacto will work but the alcohol will hurt the lacto ( Berliner Weiss disc give it tol to 8%. I'm planning 30% orange blossom honey and 70% (60 pils/40 wheat ) with final abv ~7%. Will keep in touch as I brew mine will know in ~6 months the results. Love the sours.

Jon

Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Thanks to the extended lag phase and likely lower yeast count from my expired packet, after 3 days of lag (and probably more to come), I already may have the starting of pellicle formation. Its what looks like a very fine layer of dust floating on top (obviously not dust), and each of the two gallons have a tiny tiny white nugget floating in the center. I think the other one has the dust as well but I disrupt it when I move it down form the high shelf to look at it, I'll be moving it this evening so I don't have to move it to see.

But this is the beginning of many experiments for me into sour mead-making.

I also remember reading that even without the more complex sugar chains for the bacteria to eat, they also enjoy chomping on yeast cake.

My Home Brew Blog

Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
JNEL73
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Finally brewed mine.

5# 2 row
2# malted wheat
1# toriffed wheat

1 oz aged hops 60min
3 pounds orange blossom honey

Pitch us-05 and some of the yeast cake from my lambic(Belgian sour blend dregs from jolly pumpkin, drie font, boon). Was shooting for under 8% final alcohol. Made 3 gallons. I'll taste in 4 months to see where it's going.

Jon

Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Wouldn't that be more of a Honey Sour Ale than a mead? Since its only 1lb of honey per gallon competing with all those other fermentables? I won't complain, GO LAMBIC MEAD ! Let's start a thing.

I actually haven't updated this thread in a bit. The gravity on mine has gone down to 1.030. I added 1/4 pound of Maltodextrin to each gallon to give the bugs some extra food. I also added 3 medium toast oak chips to each gallon. Supposedly it provides a sort of home-base for the bugs. It was a recommendation from the Wild Brewing section.

My Home Brew Blog

Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
JNEL73
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Fits more in the braggot catagory since my efficiency is low therefore half the fermentables are honey. So I guess not a mead but not an ale its a braggot. I just fear with the mead will be to sour and dry but you'll let us know in a few months.
Jon

Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

I forgot all about efficiencies when it comes to all-grain style brewing. Right now I make extract beer and mead which both have 100% efficiency.

I like the really sour ones, worst case scenario I'll have to blend it and make a mead gueuze. I don't plan on touching these in terms of bottling until next April. A little under a year to follow the Long aging sour tradition.

My Home Brew Blog

Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Well you have to put unfermentable sugars. If not, the saccharomyces will eat all the sugar straight away because they are way faster (and more in number in the pack) that others. Maybe brett and lacto could eat a bit on their own, but not enough to create a real funky taste and sourness.

If you don't want to add malt, you can use straight maltodextrin. It's cheap and easy to find, the sacch won't touch it and leave it for the bugs, and that way you can control the sourness level.

Or caramelize for honey.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

I previously mentioned adding .25 lbs of maltodextrin to each gallon.

Edit: I just added it to the first post.

My Home Brew Blog

Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Sorry about that. Way to go then! I might try it someday!

Quick Reply